seeking info on Maine, UConn, Baystate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danny_husk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with these programs. Interested in any facts or opinions on the programs. In addition, if anyone did a rotation as a fourth year I would appreciate any information on that.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dan,

Don't know much about Baystate or UConn, but Maine is terrific. Portland is a truly magnificent medium-sized city always rated among one of the best places to live. Great bar/restuarant scene, AA baseball, AHL hockey, good schools, etc, etc. When I interviewed there I was extremely impressed with the faculty, residents, staff and facillities. I'm ranking them in my top three, maybe no.1.

I went to UConn for med school and a few of my good friends are EM residents there.
It is a great program in a so-so city. Hartford not a great city but you will be well trained when you leave the program.
The residents get a ton of procedures. My good friend is an intern there and has had a ton of intubations on anesthesia and in the ED (40+) and a lot of lines and chest tubes on trauma. Of course it varies for everyone.
It is a surgically oriented program. I mean the EM department is combined with the traumatology department and they have a more surgical feel. This is what I'm told.
Certainly, they don't skimp on the management of medical patients but as you'll see some programs lean in each direction.
As a student rotating through the EDs. I was happy with the variety of patients I took care of and learned from. The residents were awesome and they all got along real well. UConn has a relaxed feel to it. I think as long as you can stand Hartford you'd be very happy there.
The surrounding suburbs are great. Easy to get out and enjoy nature: hiking, biking, running and great sports. Plus, great basketball state.

Things I'm not sure about is there ultrasound education. However, when I left school there were plans in place to incorporate it into the general training for certification.
Good luck on interviews.