Seeking medical care from instructor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evangerion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a strange title but the situation really isn't that provocative... I hope.
We had one of the physicians in the area come in and show us a procedure and discuss her specialty
for an hour.
Her specialty is in the area for which I am seeking treatment, and I made an appointment
requesting her because I may potentially require surgery and she has my trust
in her abilities.

Now I am wondering if this is a weird situation. I am 100% sure she won't remember me personally,
but may be creeped out by the fact that one of the medical students that she taught briefly
requested her as a physician.

I'm really not sure what to think, how this will come across. Any advice will be much appreciated.
I am willing to drop the appointment and seek another provider if this is inappropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, normal. Depending on where you live there may not be other options. In big cities some people will specifically choose to get care at other healthcare systems. Others will stay within their system getting care from people they know to be the best in their own system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got absurd amounts of my care at my school.

One of my past small group leaders did my pelvic exam, and so did a resident. Later I was on the wards and did a rotation with that resident as my senior, not remembering the whole time that he had done it a year sooner (feels so weird that I would forget such a cute doc up in my junk but whatevs, it's hardly a sexy activity). It wasn't until way later when I looked at my chart that I saw his name.

Another time I went to have my pelvic, it was ANOTHER resident I had worked with. We instantly recognized each other. He said he was fine doing it, but since I already knew him AND I had a crush on him, it was too weird for me.

Lots of other stories. Those were the weirdest so I thought I'd share.

It's fine as long as you and the doc feel comfortable, and most docs DGAF unless you are weird about it.

One meatbag is about the same as the next. Besides certain conversations, a lot of what we do regarding touching people's bodies ceases to have much social meaning to us besides just trying to heal.

I frequently have to remind people I have seen much worse and couldn't care less.

Reactions: 1 user
The only place where I wouldnt feel comfortable is psychiatric care. I dont know why, but I feel like I would want to keep that completely seperate from professional relationships and interactions. But getting a surgery from a teacher.. no problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you are memorable in a negative way, if you came to see me after working with me/listening to me lecture/whatever, I'd take it as a compliment. Kind of like when my colleagues and their family members come see me.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the kind advice everyone!

I just wasn't sure if this was blurring lines of a professional/ academic relationship, and whether this could potentially
be an uncomfortable situation from the perspective of the physician.
Good to know that things like this happen all the time.
And it's not in the gyn/ psych area, so no real issues of potential TMI here.

And don't worry. I'm neurotic (see original post), but not creepy.

upload_2018-2-12_0-33-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-12_0-32-42.png
    upload_2018-2-12_0-32-42.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 37
Not just being a contrarian, but I wouldn't go to someone I know professionally for medical care tbh.

People talk, and having worked in areas where sensitive information is discussed (EM, psych), I was surprised and relatively saddened by the amount of highly privileged information that is discussed openly in the office(s).

Trust me, she probably won't remember you...and unless she's socially awkward, she won't care. I've given similar presentations and wouldn't think twice about it if I had a med student come through the operating room under my care.

I’ve got a chronic autoimmune condition and my main doc is the dean of something or other at our school. It’s never been the least bit weird.

That said one time when I was going under for a procedure she started grilling me with biochem questions - which was pretty terrifying/funny.

Last thing I remember was “how many ATP are produced by the Krebs Cycle???” Then I woke up in the recovery room and blurred out “38!” to the very startled nurse.

Reactions: 4 users