Seeking OSU Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering where the OSU students are. I had some questions to ask. Please post so i could ask you some.....thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 1st year student at OSU - what questions do you have? :) I'll answer as best I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a 1st year student at OSU as well. hey cameron, enjoying the humidity? :cool: ask away...

Well, now that we've found you, I've got a very open-ended question:

OSU vs. Cincinnati - your thoughts???? Feel free to comment on the schools, city environs, or anything else that's relevant to deciding between the two.

Excellent question.

Another, could you please mention which pathway you are in, and what you find best in your pathway, what disappointed you?

Do you think the anatomy program is too short?

I'll come up with more.

Monkeyrunner,
I'm not from the area and am not too familiar with Cincinnati to comment on your question - I'll ask some of my Ohio-native classmates. :)

Resident Alien,
I'm in the PBL pathway (as is salsadoc44 I believe :wink: ) That was an important thing to me when I was deciding where to go to school. The PBL philosophy fits well with my learning style. I find that I am much more motivated to study the material when there is a clinical backdrop present. Of course, most of the students in each pathway will tell you why that particular pathway is the best -- that's the beauty of it -- you have the freedom to select which style you prefer. As for what has diappointed me, well, not much so far. The open nature of the PBL program "can" get frustrating. Nobody gives you a list of things to know, nobody tells you what to read, and it's hard to know when you've studied enough. However, that's the way it'll be after the first two years of medical school and for the rest of your life. There is good communication between 1st and 2nd year students which helps a great deal.

I felt the anatomy program was long enough - after 12 weeks of anatomy 4 days/week for 3-4 hours I was quite ready to move on. Since you really only focus on anatomy and embryology during those 12 weeks, you have the time you need to learn it. Besides, who wants to smell lilke the anatomy lab for a whole year? :D

Fire away with more questions - I'm sure salsadoc44 will give you his take on it as well.

monkeyrunner: i did not interview at cinci, though i do have quite a few friends here that turned down cinci to go to OSU. basically, from what i gather, they did not enjoy their interview experience at cinci. unfortunately i don't know of any specific reasons other than the fact that they were not impressed with the overall environment and what the school had to offer.

even though i've grown up in the san francisco bay area, i have been very pleasantly surprised by how much i have enjoy columbus so far. granted it does not the "big city" atmosphere such as SF, NYC, etc., but it's definitely a great place to go to school.

resident alien: cameron is right, i too am a fellow PBL student. i completely agree with what he had to say about PBL -- that is the overall consensus of what PBL entails. there are many reasons why students love PBL -- i've actually heard from other med2s in the other pathways (ISP, LD) commenting that PBL is the best way to learn, especially in learning the 2nd year material (path, micro, pharm). the clinical background and correlation greatly enhances how one retains the inordinate amount of material we are required to memorize. and it is true, we are told my the 2nd year PBL students all the positives and negatives of the pathway. the negatives are expected, and common to every new incoming class of PBLers. you have to take a "leap of faith" and be confident that you have the ability to realize what you need to learn and in turn to learn it effectively. all of us 1st year PBLers tackle that question constantly. if you're the type of person that needs more structure in your education, this pathway may not be right for you. quite honestly, in every class, there are students who are not the "traditional" PBL type students. what i mean by that is that they seem to enjoy the group sessions much more than other students. nevertheless, we all do realize the benefits of learning how to discuss and tackle a medical problem as if we are a team of doctors in the hospital. thus, i feel in some way each PBL students takes what they feel is important to them from the pathway (learing how to operate in different group dynamics, oral presentation skills -- PBLers have oral exams as well as the traditional written exams, etc.)

also, the bell curve of the step 1 board scores comparing all three pathways are nearly identical.

so ultimately, it's the amount of time and energy a student puts in that determines how good they do on the boards, not the pathway they choose.

every pathway has their quirks. the good thing about PBL is that if you do get drawn from the lottery, you can try it out for a few months. if you don't like PBL after a few sessions, you can drop out and go LD or ISP. usually the deadline is when anatomy ends (november i think).

i feel anatomy was fine. the school does a good job of not "throwing you into the fire" right off the bat. basically, all you have to do is concentrate on anatomy for the first few months. surprisingly, i didn't find anatomy as difficult as i imagined it to be, or as difficult as other med students have claimed it to be. and cameron's right, you don't want to be in the anatomy room all year, trust us =)

if you have any questions on LD or ISP, let us know -- i have friends in both pathways and i have definitely heard my fair share of their thoughts on the subject.

if there are other questions u have, we'll be here. good luck :cool:

What a stroke of luck, the student I met on my 2nd visit, and who took me on a tour is also in the PBL program....very friendly and frank person.

Dont you worry about questions, the barrage is coming soon! :)