PhD/PsyD Seeking out one's own practicum opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDrANB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program recently (after my cohort started) decided to switch from having child/adult tracks to a generalist program. I have no problem with generalist training, however as part of this change the program has cut ties with a couple child-focused practicum sites. So I'm wondering if anyone sought out their own practicum sites during grad school and how that worked out.

Members don't see this ad.

My program recently (after my cohort started) decided to switch from having child/adult tracks to a generalist program. I have no problem with generalist training, however as part of this change the program has cut ties with a couple child-focused practicum sites. So I'm wondering if anyone sought out their own practicum sites during grad school and how that worked out.

Programs all have some kind of system for approving training sites, so you need to make sure whatever you do is in line with their policy. Also DCTs need to sign off on all hours at the end, so you need to make sure the sites knows where you are training and approves of it so you can count it in the end.

But otherwise, so long as the site has a psychologist to supervise you and can meet the other requirements of a training site (e.g., providing supervision), you're probably fine if the site wants to take on trainees.

Be aware that there might be issues with the formerly-approved sites that you as a student are not privy to, though, that go beyond the program just changing direction. I don't know any doctoral programs so flush with training sites that they can just cut some off for no reason.

Reactions: 3 users
I did this! You just need to start early (like now for next fall). Your program should be able to draft a contract and get it all set up.

I did this as well x2. It worked out well both time, but I suppose it could have gone poorly because there was no history with the site training and we were making things up as we went along. If you can operate working like this and being flexible it could be a wonderful experience.

My program had minimal paperwork for this, so that made it easier. Same may not.