Seeking therapy in grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrp2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a male in my 20's in my first semester in a clinical phd program. I have realized in class that when we talk about avoidant personality disorder, the only thing I think about when hearing it described is that those things are the epitome of what I am. I am not one for self-diagnosing, but it frightens me how my actions lately reflect it. I think I want to go to therapy and I've thought about it during undergrad, too, but refused to believe I had any issue. The issue: I clearly cannot seek reduced cost therapy at my university, being that I will know every therapist. I have no health insurance and cannot afford to see a PP. What should I do? Anyone face a similar problem? My anxiety and depression have gotten worse since I moved down here for school. I'd appreciate opinions, please.

Members don't see this ad.

There are often some psychologists that offer reduced fee slots for students. They may be limited to a certain day/time...but worth asking. Call up your state (or county) psych assoc. and ask if they know of anyone who offers reduced fee/sliding scale for students. Many times the state will keep a list of providers who offer this as a way to give back to the field.

I sought therapy while in graduate school (first year). I talked with a professor who I trusted most in the department and explained some of what I was going through. The professor was then able to recommend some community therapists who might be appropriate. The first one I talked to was not willing to work with me on a sliding scale. The second therapist I called said sure I'll work with you on a sliding scale. I later came to realize that this was one of the most well-respected therapists in the community and that some of the faculty in my department had been her clients at different points in the past. She was great!

My advice, when you call a potential therapist explain that you're a graduate student in psychology and that you would really like to find a therapist who will work with you on a sliding scale. Be polite and upfront about it. Some therapists really like working with students as a way of giving back to the profession. If I'm every in PP in the future, I suspect I would do the same.