Seeking University of Virginia affiliates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CookieMonster78

Good Enough for Me
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m interested in connecting with anyone (postbac/med students, alumni, residents, adcoms, faculty, staff, etc.) affiliated with the medical school at Mr. Jefferson’s university. :) If you fill one of these categories and would be willing to chat about such topics as curriculum, nontrad/family-friendliness, how to optimize my candidacy, local docs willing to be shadowed, finances, etc., please send me a PM or identify yourself in this thread. I’d be happy to hear from fellow prospective applicants as well.

I’m NOT ready to apply at this point (ideally, I’d matriculate in Fall 2013 after a postbac and a glide year), but my personal circumstances make UVA the most logical choice in terms of location and quality. I hope my information-gathering over the next couple of years will reveal it to be a great match for me in other respects as well, and if so, that I’ll be able to craft a virtually rejection-proof application! ;) (I know, I know, there’s no such thing…)

Thanks for your time,
Cookie

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I’m interested in connecting with anyone (postbac/med students, alumni, residents, adcoms, faculty, staff, etc.) affiliated with the medical school at Mr. Jefferson’s university. :) If you fill one of these categories and would be willing to chat about such topics as curriculum, nontrad/family-friendliness, how to optimize my candidacy, local docs willing to be shadowed, finances, etc., please send me a PM or identify yourself in this thread. I’d be happy to hear from fellow prospective applicants as well.

I’m NOT ready to apply at this point (ideally, I’d matriculate in Fall 2013 after a postbac and a glide year), but my personal circumstances make UVA the most logical choice in terms of location and quality. I hope my information-gathering over the next couple of years will reveal it to be a great match for me in other respects as well, and if so, that I’ll be able to craft a virtually rejection-proof application! ;) (I know, I know, there’s no such thing…)

Thanks for your time,
Cookie

I will assume that you are indeed a Virginia resident, correct?

I will you give you my 2 cents as a VA resident.

If there was ever a state school to not put all of your eggs in one basket, it would be this one. UVA is the hardest state school in VA to gain admission to.

Check out the stats below:
Entering class of 2013:Virginians
57%
Out-of-State
43%
Women
43%
MD/PhD
5%
GPA:
Mean Overall GPA
MCAT:
Biological Sciences
Physical Sciences
Verbal Reasoning
Writing Sample
"P"

I believe Flip26 (a frequent poster on the Nontrad forum) is a VA resident and has also been accepted to the school. I would suggest getting ahold of him/her.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info/warning, Mac.

I am in-state. Door-to-door, UVA is about 1 hour away from me, VCOM 2:45, Georgetown 3 hours (assuming I’m the only car on the road:laugh:), EVMS 3:45. Uprooting the family is not an option, and living elsewhere during the week would be the very last resort. I have to shoot for UVA, despite the long odds, or make a different career choice.

Obviously, I’d like to think that I’ll be able to post stellar numbers, but we all know that wishing doesn’t make it happen and great stats don’t guarantee admission. I guess I’ll see how the postbac goes—and maybe I’ll have a change of heart or circumstances along the way.

Anyone else out there?