Seeking Ways to Acquire Pharmacy-Related Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreStud101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am interested in working as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy assistant in either a pharmacy retail store or a department of pharmacy at a hospital. I am planning to transfer into a pharmacy institution very soon, and assuring my acceptance into one entails that I gain some work experience in a pharmacy. I would like to know if including most of the pre-pharmacy, related courses that I have completed along with my science GPA will increase my chances of potential employment into a pharmacy of my interest. Furthermore, I would like to know of how I may find a pharmacy that will hire a student of my qualifications without any certification and prior experience in a pharmacy.

All suggestions will be considered.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was trying to get my first pharmacy job, I included on my resume my past jobs but also my current/completed pre-pharm school work. I also wrote a cover letter that explained that I was pre-pharm and wanted to start in the field and gain experience. I also mentioned my non-pharmacy related jobs and explained how the skills I gained from them can be applied to a job as a pharmacy tech.

It'll probably be harder to get a first tech job in a hospital, since usually you have to have your CPhT to be hired. A lot of retail places only require a state license, and the chains will usually train you for your state license if you don't have it already. From my I've seen in my own job searches, independent retail pharmacies usually want experienced/nationally-licensed techs too.

One of the big chains or a chain grocery store would probably be your best bet.

Walgreens is pretty much always hiring. When I started working there 2 years ago all I had on my resume was a serving job. Walgreens also paid for my certification exam and gave me study material/books for the exam. I'm assuming most larger chains are similar.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your responses, bluejay77 and dannnilleeee. I would like to know regarding the application process through particular sities that you may know of for students with my credentials.

All suggestions will be considered.