Seeking words of advice for my friend.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

william887davis

Reaction score
My friend just started her pharmacist residency about 1 month ago. She quit 1 month in, walked in a turned in her stuff. Moved away 3 days later to take a new job, in Florida, where one of her best friends works. She grew up in Savannah, Ga, and got home sick. Missing the beach and her friends and family, and "rooftop bars". I just cant understand why she would go through with moving to Tennessee, and committing to this, then just leave because of being home sick. I am really concerned and I'd hate to see her waste all of the hard work she has put in so far. Because her new job has something to do with pediatrics, and she told me that she was not sure if she was even going to like it or not. I told her to not let those thoughts of being homesick control her decisions, but it went in one ear and out the other. Have any of you been through this before?

Members don't see this ad.

I find it interesting that she found a job that quick.
Her friend from home works at the hospital there, and got her a job. She made a quick decision and took it. I just hope she is not jeopardizing her career. She signed a one year contract and basically gave them a 2 day notice. For her residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty selfish move. Nothing you can really do now. No advice to give...she probably wouldn't listen anyway.

The grass is always greener on the other side, because it is full of ****.

Pretty selfish move. Nothing you can really do now. No advice to give...she probably wouldn't listen anyway.

The grass is always greener on the other side, because it is full of ****.
I agree. Plenty of times in my life, I have made major changes because I thought it would fix everything and make things perfect, only to find out that I wasn't really as happy as I thought I would be, and wished I had just left it alone. Hard lessons.

Wow, so she pretty much just quit on the spot huh? She definitely burned that bridge and any bridge associated with it...

Sorry for the silly questions: Anyone have the stats on how many people wash out of residency? For those reading who don't want to post, is there a way to do this without committing career suicide? What are the implications of quitting a residency?

Wow, so she pretty much just quit on the spot huh? She definitely burned that bridge and any bridge associated with it...
Sorry for the silly questions: Anyone have the stats on how many people wash out of residency? For those reading who don't want to post, is there a way to do this without committing career suicide? What are the implications of quitting a residency?

Quitting a residency pretty much guarantees she will never get another residency. Which maybe she won't care, but one never knows what the future holds, she could regret that.

Signing a contract, she should have fulfilled it, but since she didn't, she really should have given more notice than 3 days. I would say she should have gave 30 days notice, but since she hadn't been there that long, maybe the hospital really didn't want to waste anymore time with her.

That is really bad for the people who got turned down for that residency, because the hospital picked someone who wasn't serious about finishing it. I mean how old is this woman? I would assume at least 24 years old, at 24 years old she should be able to handle her homesickness without having to quit her job.

Reactions: 1 users
Quitting a residency pretty much guarantees she will never get another residency. Which maybe she won't care, but one never knows what the future holds, she could regret that.

Signing a contract, she should have fulfilled it, but since she didn't, she really should have given more notice than 3 days. I would say she should have gave 30 days notice, but since she hadn't been there that long, maybe the hospital really didn't want to waste anymore time with her.

That is really bad for the people who got turned down for that residency, because the hospital picked someone who wasn't serious about finishing it. I mean how old is this woman? I would assume at least 24 years old, at 24 years old she should be able to handle her homesickness without having to quit her job.
She is 24, just got out of grad school and wanted to do the residency. She didn't realize that she wasn't ready to be away from her friends and her old lifestyle just yet .

And not only that but she was bragging about being late everyday and sending smart emails to the medical doctor to "correct" him on things.

Kinda makes you wonder, who’s idea was it for her to up and leave so quick? I feel like I’d give more time in that position but maybe it became a “let’s minimize our loss and save ourselves having to pay her” situation for the hospital

I can’t imagine it being any different if she were a community resident? I honestly wonder how many people flake out of residency as a whole...

And not only that but she was bragging about being late everyday and sending smart emails to the medical doctor to "correct" him on things.

Is it just me, or does this make it sound even worst for her? I’d be glad she’s not practicing in the same geographic region as all this went down. Based on what I’m reading so far, seems like maybe she was lucky she matched out of state.

Kinda makes you wonder, who’s idea was it for her to up and leave so quick? I feel like I’d give more time in that position but maybe it became a “let’s minimize our loss and save ourselves having to pay her” situation for the hospital

I can’t imagine it being any different if she were a community resident? I honestly wonder how many people flake out of residency as a whole...

Is it just me, or does this make it sound even worst for her? I’d be glad she’s not practicing in the same geographic region as all this went down. Based on what I’m reading so far, seems like maybe she was lucky she matched out of state.
She just made a hasty decision based upon being homesick. She will absolutely not be anywhere, where her old friends and family are not, period. She wants to be close to or in the same city she grew up in a never leave. I am just curious what this could mean for her in the long run.

She just made a hasty decision based upon being homesick. She will absolutely not be anywhere, where her old friends and family are not, period. She wants to be close to or in the same city she grew up in a never leave. I am just curious what this could mean for her in the long run.

If she has a job back at home doing the job she wants, I suppose none of what just happened matters. Definitely blacklisted from a residency in the future as stated above.

If she has a job back at home doing the job she wants, I suppose none of what just happened matters. Definitely blacklisted from a residency in the future as stated above.
She didn't know what the job was gonna consist of. She just took it to go back closer to home . She only knew what it might be, and she was unsure if she would even like it or not.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So is she regretting it then?
I think she is because she is not making any more money, and she screwed the residency program over, so I'm sure she is having second thoughts. I just wish my friends would listen to my advice but they dont.

I think she is because she is not making any more money, and she screwed the residency program over, so I'm sure she is having second thoughts. I just wish my friends would listen to my advice but they dont.

So resident pay for a job where she’s not sure what she’ll be doing and she’s not sure she’ll even like. Yikes.

She’s already crossed the no return barrier at this point... Kinda sucks, seems like she let her emotions get the best of her, which you already touched on.

So resident pay for a job where she’s not sure what she’ll be doing and she’s not sure she’ll even like. Yikes.

She’s already crossed the no return barrier at this point... Kinda sucks, seems like she let her emotions get the best of her, which you already touched on.
I am just afraid that since she quit now, that she will continue to quit when things are tough, and end up doing something completely different. Then all of the years it took to get her PharmD, will be a waste, not to mention the large amount of debt she is already in. I care about this girl and I am just worried. I almost think that she didn't think this career path over before she started. Just crazy. She moved in with her best friend, which also worries me, because usually when that happens, you dont stay best friends for long afterwards. Im certain that she would have finished the residency if her friend had not talked her into leaving. Maybe she really isnt much of a friend after all?

Last edited:
My friend just started her pharmacist residency about 1 month ago. She quit 1 month in, walked in a turned in her stuff. Moved away 3 days later to take a new job, in Florida, where one of her best friends works. She grew up in Savannah, Ga, and got home sick. Missing the beach and her friends and family, and "rooftop bars". I just cant understand why she would go through with moving to Tennessee, and committing to this, then just leave because of being home sick. I am really concerned and I'd hate to see her waste all of the hard work she has put in so far. Because her new job has something to do with pediatrics, and she told me that she was not sure if she was even going to like it or not. I told her to not let those thoughts of being homesick control her decisions, but it went in one ear and out the other. Have any of you been through this before?
Lol @ missing the beach, her friends, and rooftop bards. That tells me all I need to know about this person. I feel bad for her. If she thought residency orientation month was hard, she is about to get a grand slam ass-kicking the rest of her pharmacy career. Also, whoever hired this rph to a peds job with no experience is an idiot. Think your friend belongs in mail order.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol @ missing the beach, her friends, and rooftop bards. That tells me all I need to know about this person. I feel bad for her. If she thought residency orientation month was hard, she is about to get a grand slam ass-kicking the rest of her pharmacy career. Also, whoever hired this rph to a peds job with no experience is an idiot. Think your friend belongs in mail order.
I guess she is going to find out one way or the other.

Residency can't teach common sense and professionalism.

As harsh as this is, both are the truth.

I don't expect her to last long at her new job. Sorry OP.

How could she not know what she was getting into, even after all of the years put into going to school? That's what I cannot grasp.

$$$ (without consideration of debt)

This is for 90% of folks...with 80% of said folks never stepping foot in a pharmacy