seems just about anyone can get into medical school these days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
alot of our schools have just the same resources as you guys... Some of my current professors are from schools like Johns Hopkins school of medicine, the university of Baltimore school of medicine, and university of chicago school of medicine, with good clincial professors from other areas of the world such as Austrailia and Europe....Some of these professors even are famous for their contributions to science/medicine... Let's hear the flame...

Sorry, you definitely do not have the same resources. You may have good professors, and that's great. There's one glaring and obvious thing missing from Caribbean schools; research oppurtunities. I think St. George's gives students off for the summers, so you could get a little research in there. Still, though, all schools are not created equal. It's the same in the US as well, which is why some schools are more desirable to applicants than others.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 32 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA... For some reason I couldn't kiss enough *** to get accepted into the states.... And for the part about us Carib students practicing on you folks, alot of our schools have just the same resources as you guys... Some of my current professors are from schools like Johns Hopkins school of medicine, the university of Baltimore school of medicine, and university of chicago school of medicine, with good clincial professors from other areas of the world such as Austrailia and Europe....

I wasn't aware that UB had a medical school. :smuggrin:

I had a 32 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA, and I didn't have to kiss any *** to get accepted in the states. I just had to act like a normal person who didn't have a chip on her shoulder.

Clearly, this person would like to fight fire with fire. That's usually productive.

This is peripherally related to the whole Caribbean MD/ US MD discussion going on in here. I started a thread about this in the Caribbean forum.

http://health.uchc.edu/clinicalservi...care/index.htm

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/inter...lty/perron.htm

http://www.rwjuh.edu/physicians/physician_profile.aspx?

http://www.rwjuh.edu/physicians/phys...ysicianid=2165

http://www.osfholyfamily.org/phydir.html

I never knew Dominica, West Indies was actually a county in New York state. Am I the only one who thinks these frauds should be reprimanded? If you are an IMG, you should not be listed as an AMG, which is effectively what these doctors/their hospitals are doing. I know nothing of the legality of this, but I'd assume it is illegal.

Only the last link actually worked for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Only the last link actually worked for me

Wow, all the links got ****ed up since I've posted them. Bizarre.

Go to google and type in, with quotations, "Ross University, New York" and you'll get a disturbing amoutn of results for hospitals and private practices where Ross grads list their school as being in NY.

Go to google and type in, with quotations, "Ross University, New York" and you'll get a disturbing amoutn of results for hospitals and private practices where Ross grads list their school as being in NY.

Isn't Dominica a borough of New York?

Wow, that's scary. :thumbdown:

Isn't Dominica a borough of New York?

No, but I could see why you'd think it was, what with all the Dominicans running around the city.

Wow, that's scary. :thumbdown:

If I could motivate myself, I'd love to e-mail each practice/hospital and inform them of their mistakes. I'm sure they'd thank me and claim they were totally unintentional.:rolleyes:

If I could motivate myself, I'd love to e-mail each practice/hospital and inform them of their mistakes. I'm sure they'd thank me and claim they were totally unintentional.:rolleyes:

:laugh: Funny, but not worth it.

This is related to your name. ATHF sucks. Space Ghost Coast to Coast is where it's at! Also Sealab 2021 was friggin' high-larious. Haven't seen any of those shows or Adult Swim for years.

They apply to DO and carib schools on their first application cycle?
I did. Well, US MD and DO schools at least. They seemed to offer pretty much the same thing and looked to me like two nearly equal paths to where I wanted to be. I knew that there would be just a little more inherited friction to overcome going through the DO route, but after talking to a lot of people (including residency directors) it seemed like that would probably be minimal if I came out with good scores. From the offers I had, I decided a particular DO school's benefits outweighed that bias that I knew would one day come.

BTW, I would have applied year after year to MD and DO programs here in the country before considering going to the Caribbean. I don't understand the students who would be strong applicants at a DO school but go there instead just to have the "right" letters behind their name.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, I would have applied year after year to MD and DO programs here in the country before considering going to the Caribbean. I don't understand the students who would be strong applicants at a DO school but go there instead just to have the "right" letters behind their name.

I guess the chance for the "right" letters and the better chance for your choice residency is worth it to me to only apply US MD the first try. Then apply to US MD and either DO or carib the second try. That way you give it two chances at the US MD. I just flat out don't believe anyone who says they were accepted to a US MD school and still went DO. "I had the chance to date Alessandra Ambrosio but I just really get along with my girlfriend."

i am frustrated. i am a us medical student attending a top 20 school. all i seem to hear about is the hundreds of kids that go to caribbean school and even abroad to eastern europe to get their md's. they go to places and islands i have never even heard of, then take their usmle's and are able to practice medicine in the states. some students are going right to the caribbean from high school. medicine is a profession of respect, integrity, and standards. if all these students are getting into school abroad, some without even interviews, doesn't this bring the standard of medicine practiced in the US down?? 20 MCAT 3.0 GPA; does this sound like someone you would want to be treated by?? is there any real benefit to even going to a US med school?? in the end the carib grads get jobs- make money, do whatever?? i just dont think the system is fair in rewarding US students who have worked hard to get into US schools. yeah there is a shortage of docs here esspecially pcps, but all the foreign docs dont go to the places there are shortages in, and opt not to even practice pcp fields; instead just oversaturate the cities and residencies. this is just bull ****. appreciate feedback and sorry for the rant.

Yeah they let you in, looks like standards really are dropping.

juuuuust kidding

What a gross over-generalization. You can't just make stuff up and expect everyone to believe it.

I'm not concerned about lower stats. I'm concerned about crappy doctors and non-US grads (ie - real IMGs, not the accredited carib schools) getting into US residencies. The residency programs seem to do a pretty good job of limiting the crap they take. I like the current system. See below for more.

I don't know what "intrinsically better" means, but I think it's a fair assumption that U.S. students are more academically qualified than you, until you prove otherwise. That's the assumption the residency programs make, and it's a fair one.

I am not in med school yet, but I would suggest you travel abroad and see the work being done before you start considering yourself and your MD acceptance the best thing since slice bread. I cannot understand how people who claim to wanna help others and perhaps even clean the world of some of its problems talk this way. It's just sad.

Would any of you truly say that there aren't any carribean grads that are better than some US grads, or what do you have to say about a 3.5/32 student who got rejected by 12 schools but a 3.14/30 who got accepted by 5 (btw, they both have the exact same extracurricular activities)? The truth is the admission proces is not clear cut and unfortunately some good people just fall right through the cracks.

Or do you all also believe that numbers are a true indicator of performance or character...cuz God Forbid any of you get exactly a 185 on your step 1. Anyways I'm too busy for this crap.

And before your quick fingers tries to attack my stats....my grades are stellar, and I have seen thew world and alot of what it has to offer in terms of science.
My conclusion; US students have some catching up to do. Take it from someone who's seen it.

or what do you have to say about a 3.5/32 student who got rejected by 12 schools but a 3.14/30 who got accepted by 5 (btw, they both have the exact same extracurricular activities)? The truth is the admission proces is not clear cut and unfortunately some good people just fall right through the cracks.

I would say that human interaction is an important part of being a doctor, and through the interview, they can sort out the people who are the worst at that.

I would say that human interaction is an important part of being a doctor, and through the interview, they can sort out the people who are the worst at that.

They are both friendly human people with alot of EC that has to do with Human interaction. My point is simple, admission process is hardly ever clear cut.

And for all the super jerks on this thread trying to use their enrollment into top 20 med schs, or even any US MD schs, to make up for their baby size genitals and high pitch voice, I just wanna say try harder, and that will not make you a nice doctor, it will only make you a bitter medical practioner whose source of happiness is that he/she went to a US MD sch. Hit your books, rock the boards and stop trying to make urself feel better by insulting the quality of education caribbean students are getting. They might just get that Dermatology/Radiology spot you've been eyeing since walked out off your mother's womb.

I am not in med school yet, but I would suggest you travel abroad and see the work being done before you start considering yourself and your MD acceptance the best thing since slice bread. I cannot understand how people who claim to wanna help others and perhaps even clean the world of some of its problems talk this way. It's just sad.

Would any of you truly say that there aren't any carribean grads that are better than some US grads, or what do you have to say about a 3.5/32 student who got rejected by 12 schools but a 3.14/30 who got accepted by 5 (btw, they both have the exact same extracurricular activities)? The truth is the admission proces is not clear cut and unfortunately some good people just fall right through the cracks.

Or do you all also believe that numbers are a true indicator of performance or character...cuz God Forbid any of you get exactly a 185 on your step 1. Anyways I'm too busy for this crap.

And before your quick fingers tries to attack my stats....my grades are stellar, and I have seen thew world and alot of what it has to offer in terms of science.
My conclusion; US students have some catching up to do. Take it from someone who's seen it.

No one cares about your stats, nor do they care about your anecdotes about who-gets-in-where. There is also NO ONE on this thread or any other (save trolls) who is saying all US MD students are better than all caribbean students. The whole point is (from the perspective of someone who is moderate on this issue) that in general, caribbean schools are easier to get into. They largely provide a means for students with lower credentials to get a medical degree, and an alternative way to practice medicine. Students who really are competitive (and not just in their or their acquaintances' opinions) for US MD programs who end up in the caribbean are a minority of students.

...what do you have to say about a 3.5/32 student who got rejected by 12 schools but a 3.14/30 who got accepted by 5 (btw, they both have the exact same extracurricular activities)?

I'd say that your little "thought experiment" doesn't mean jack. We know nothing about these two students and know nothing about their application experience. What we CAN say, however, is that it's very likely one was doing something right, and one was doing something wrong. We have no idea what these things could be, and frankly, don't give a ****. It's YOUR job to figure out what YOU have to do to succeed, and HIS job to figure out what HE needs to do to succeed - to present oneself as being an ideal candidate for medical school. I can think of a long list of things that would sway my decision towards a 3.14/30 away from a 3.5/32, and it sounds like so can admissions committees.

I would ask you exactly what "catching up" US MD students have to do in your opinion, but then I realized your opinions have already been shown to be silly, perspective warped, and frankly naive.

Best of luck, nonetheless.

No one cares about your stats, nor do they care about your anecdotes about who-gets-in-where. There is also NO ONE on this thread or any other (save trolls) who is saying all US MD students are better than all caribbean students. The whole point is (from the perspective of someone who is moderate on this issue) that in general, caribbean schools are easier to get into. They largely provide a means for students with lower credentials to get a medical degree, and an alternative way to practice medicine. Students who really are competitive (and not just in their or their acquaintances' opinions) for US MD programs who end up in the caribbean are a minority of students.

I figured a gentleman like you would reply in such bonehead fashion. However, I agree with you that Caribbean schools are easier to get into, but does the alternative way to practice medicine that they provide necessarily generate bad doctors, or even partly? Do you have anything else to back it up apart from prejudice and pre-conceived notions that have no strong basis? Those are things you should think about before you start venting your fustration.

I'd say that your little "thought experiment" doesn't mean jack. We know nothing about these two students and know nothing about their application experience. What we CAN say, however, is that it's very likely one was doing something right, and one was doing something wrong. We have no idea what these things could be, and frankly, don't give a ****. It's YOUR job to figure out what YOU have to do to succeed, and HIS job to figure out what HE needs to do to succeed - to present oneself as being an ideal candidate for medical school. I can think of a long list of things that would sway my decision towards a 3.14/30 away from a 3.5/32, and it sounds like so can admissions committees.

It doesn't take 4 brains to see that one of them was doing something wrong, but the point was that there are several other factors that could have played into one of them not getting into those schools tat differs from knowledge or numbers. E.g. Time application was turned in, ethnic background, age, responsibilities. But then again those hardly matter to you.

And for me to try and prove to you that these individuals are real will truly just give the impression that I care about your bonehead comments, and that will be untrue.

I would ask you exactly what "catching up" US MD students have to do in your opinion, but then I realized your opinions have already been shown to be silly, perspective warped, and frankly naive.

Best of luck, nonetheless.

If you are truly interested in finding out, you can feel free to step out of your world and research the works around the world. I personally recommend South Africa and Germany. Then again, I'm not sure if you know more about this than I do, feel free to holla back with your objections.

keep in mind that I could also be naive and perspective warped.

Best of Luck to you too. (I get the funny feeling you're gonna need it more)

I just flat out don't believe anyone who says they were accepted to a US MD school and still went DO. "I had the chance to date Alessandra Ambrosio but I just really get along with my girlfriend."

:laugh:

Whatever helps you sleep at night, my friend. No need to project. :)

Seriously, though, maybe the only people in this world who can get away with saying the above are:

*Tom Brady
*Cash Warren (at least a few months ago)
*Dario Franchitti
*Perhaps Brent Tuhtan (see his girlfriend here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Kerr )

This is related to your name. ATHF sucks. Space Ghost Coast to Coast is where it's at! Also Sealab 2021 was friggin' high-larious. Haven't seen any of those shows or Adult Swim for years.

Blasphemy! You're dating yourself here; SGC2C?! You must have taken the paper MCAT, old man! Carl from ATHF has got the be the greatest supporting role in any cartoon ever.

I'll agree Sealab 2021 was funny, though. The creators of SL2021 have a new show on Adult Swim, Frisky Dingo; it's on Sundays, I believe, although the season may be over. If you ever have 11 minutes free around midnight on Sunday, give it a chance. Metalocalypse @ 11:45 PM, Sundays on Adult Swim as well; excellent show.

Anyway, proceed with the dick-measuring everyone.

Blasphemy! You're dating yourself here; SGC2C?! You must have taken the paper MCAT, old man! Carl from ATHF has got the be the greatest supporting role in any cartoon ever.

Then I'm old too! IIRC, he took the MCAT back in 2001 (don't know if it was on computer by then). I took the paper version back in 1999.

If you claim that, yes.

I'd believe it. Here's why, at least in my theory, the DO route could actually work to your advantage.

Let's first make some assumptions (which, as a math major, I'm sure you realize are key to starting any valid proof). Let's assume that good grades during college are strongly correlated with success in medical school. I don't think many people will argue against this; most kids who struggle to get a 2.4 are going to be fighting the most uphill battle in the history of academics.

Secondly, let's assume our friend Shinken was a smart kid, but either his grades or MCAT didn't quite cut it. Anyone who can get through med school and pass the boards is of at least above average intelligence, in my book. Once again, this is a safe assumption. However, let's say Shinken is a non-traditional student, and the reason his grades aren't so hot is because he screwed around as a young man, and as a result, his freshman and sophomore year GPAs were lower than his BAC. He was able to clean himself up, do well, get a master's degree, whatever floats your boat. A DO school gave him a shot, and so did an MD school.

Now the dilemma: where to go?

99% of people would say MD, hands down. And why not? The stigma of being a DO; must hard to get a job out there with those squiggly letters after your name. Sarcasm aside, why would one pick DO if they were Shinken? Because:

If we go back to our original assumption that undergraduate GPA is strongly correlated with success in medical school (meaning if you were a genius in undergrad, you'll probably be a somewhat strong med student; sure the majority will kill just to pass, but every class has gunners that will get straight As), than your classmates in a DO school will be "less smart," than your classmates in an MD school. So, let's say our friend Shinken knows he is smart, but is not confident he could be at the top of the class at the MD school.

Let's say during his master's degree (an SMP, where you take med school classes), he achieved a 3.6 GPA. Not bad, not bad at all. However, that was an MD school, where he competed with the top shelf students. What if he competed against DO students, who because of their undergrad GPAs, surely will struggle more in med school than MD students with their higher GPAs? This is why I say DO might be a good idea. Knowing his abilities and his limits (very important part), he might be able to gauge where he will most likely be at the top of the class. If he feels, after meeting fellow classmates on the applicant trail for both schools, that the pre-MD kids were all ChemE majors with 4.0s as opposed to his pre-DO friends who were 3.5 Art History majors, where do you think he'd pick? I'd go DO.

Now, let's apply this on a larger scale. Say Shinken wants to get into dermatology when he graduates. There are obviously far more allopathic residencies for derm than osteopathic ones; but that doesn't mean there's only one or two programs. There's a respectable amount of spots. Derm, either osteo or allo, takes the cream of the cream of the crop. So, would you want to compete against Harvard grad with a 260, a UCSD grad with 5 pubs, or the Yale grad whose dad is the PD? Or would you rather be able to apply to osteopathic derm residencies (where you are competing against students who many non-DOs would label as weaker students academically)? Once again, if I wanted one of these uber-competitive spots, I'd have to go with osteopathic; UNLESS I was so confident in my studliness that I felt I really had a shot at being top of the class at the MD school and being able to smash the USMLE (which, from what the majority of DOs say, is much harder than the COMLEX, which is what you take to get the osteopathic residency).

Is my theory perfect? No, it's probably just that; a theory that wouldn't work in real life. Still, I don't believe it's completely unrealistic. I think if one was completely unconcerned about the letters after their name, and only cared about what they felt put them at an advantage for certain residencies, they might actually choose DO a little more often. Because in the end, if I wanted to be an ENT or something, and I ended up a family practice MD, I'd probably be pretty down. I don't think I'd care that I had MD after my name; I'd rather have DO after my name and get to practice in the field that I wanted to most. And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

75% chance that Shinken replies to this thread and says the reason he chose DO over MD is location, though.:laugh:

Then I'm old too! IIRC, he took the MCAT back in 2001 (don't know if it was on computer by then). I took the paper version back in 1999.

To quote my then 4 or 5 year old cousin, in regards to my then 45 or so year old uncle, "you're as old as dirt!"

I'm only as old as the number in my username. Is that old? :(

Oh... that'd make sense. No, that's not old at all.

BAHAHHA JUST KIDDINZ L0lZ AT TEH OLDMANN!!!!!!11111 PWN3Dz0RZzzzzz

And for all the super jerks on this thread trying to use their enrollment into top 20 med schs, or even any US MD schs, to make up for their baby size genitals and high pitch voice,...

Name-calling and middle-school insults are SOOOO effective on a forum because everyone really cares what your opinion of them is. Trust me, they really do! On that subject, your grammar skills make your post difficult to understand.

Is the 6'2" person a jerk when they tell the 5'2" person that being tall is better than being short? Probably. Are they right? Probably.

Unfortunately I really do have baby-size genitals -- elephant baby-size genitals. I sang bass II in choir. I don't know why I felt the need to justify that to you. I guess there is still some of that middle schooler left in all of us.

...I just wanna say try harder, and that will not make you a nice doctor, it will only make you a bitter medical practioner whose source of happiness is that he/she went to a US MD sch.

Huh? Trying to make sense of this sentence that never ends hurts my super jerk brain. If I do understand then here is my reply: Being proud of something doesn't make that thing your only source of happiness.

Hit your books, rock the boards and stop trying to make urself feel better by insulting the quality of education caribbean students are getting. They might just get that Dermatology/Radiology spot you've been eyeing since walked out off your mother's womb.

I won't hold my breath. A FEW carib students get radiology spots. Almost ZERO obtain derm spots.

The "walking" out of your mother's womb part made me think of the SNL skit where Will Ferrell is a "newborn" and says "Eck, it was HOT in there!"

I'll agree Sealab 2021 was funny, though. The creators of SL2021 have a new show on Adult Swim, Frisky Dingo; it's on Sundays, I believe, although the season may be over. If you ever have 11 minutes free around midnight on Sunday, give it a chance. Metalocalypse @ 11:45 PM, Sundays on Adult Swim as well; excellent show.

Anyway, proceed with the dick-measuring everyone.

I DID take the paper MCAT in 2001. I am 27. Carl was pretty funny.

75% chance that Shinken replies to this thread and says the reason he chose DO over MD is location, though.:laugh:

Nope. I chose DO because I like it more than the MD route. Plus, all the docs I knew where awesome and I later found they were DOs.

By the way, it's awfully scary but your long post was actually 70-80% correct. Weird.

Oh... that'd make sense. No, that's not old at all.

Actually, the numbers only lined up this year - I always use "28" in my username because it's my favorite number. :)

Sigh. Now I know where everyone else my age is. In residency. :(

Nothing wrong with that! You've got more life experience, don't have to spend your early and mid-20s in coffeeshops studying, and besides your love of clowns (who freak me out!), still have much going for you. :thumbup:

I'd believe it. Here's why, at least in my theory, the DO route could actually work to your advantage.

Let's first make some assumptions (which, as a math major, I'm sure you realize are key to starting any valid proof). Let's assume that good grades during college are strongly correlated with success in medical school. I don't think many people will argue against this; most kids who struggle to get a 2.4 are going to be fighting the most uphill battle in the history of academics.

Secondly, let's assume our friend Shinken was a smart kid, but either his grades or MCAT didn't quite cut it. Anyone who can get through med school and pass the boards is of at least above average intelligence, in my book. Once again, this is a safe assumption. However, let's say Shinken is a non-traditional student, and the reason his grades aren't so hot is because he screwed around as a young man, and as a result, his freshman and sophomore year GPAs were lower than his BAC. He was able to clean himself up, do well, get a master's degree, whatever floats your boat. A DO school gave him a shot, and so did an MD school.

Now the dilemma: where to go?

99% of people would say MD, hands down. And why not? The stigma of being a DO; must hard to get a job out there with those squiggly letters after your name. Sarcasm aside, why would one pick DO if they were Shinken? Because:

If we go back to our original assumption that undergraduate GPA is strongly correlated with success in medical school (meaning if you were a genius in undergrad, you'll probably be a somewhat strong med student; sure the majority will kill just to pass, but every class has gunners that will get straight As), than your classmates in a DO school will be "less smart," than your classmates in an MD school. So, let's say our friend Shinken knows he is smart, but is not confident he could be at the top of the class at the MD school.

Let's say during his master's degree (an SMP, where you take med school classes), he achieved a 3.6 GPA. Not bad, not bad at all. However, that was an MD school, where he competed with the top shelf students. What if he competed against DO students, who because of their undergrad GPAs, surely will struggle more in med school than MD students with their higher GPAs? This is why I say DO might be a good idea. Knowing his abilities and his limits (very important part), he might be able to gauge where he will most likely be at the top of the class. If he feels, after meeting fellow classmates on the applicant trail for both schools, that the pre-MD kids were all ChemE majors with 4.0s as opposed to his pre-DO friends who were 3.5 Art History majors, where do you think he'd pick? I'd go DO.

Now, let's apply this on a larger scale. Say Shinken wants to get into dermatology when he graduates. There are obviously far more allopathic residencies for derm than osteopathic ones; but that doesn't mean there's only one or two programs. There's a respectable amount of spots. Derm, either osteo or allo, takes the cream of the cream of the crop. So, would you want to compete against Harvard grad with a 260, a UCSD grad with 5 pubs, or the Yale grad whose dad is the PD? Or would you rather be able to apply to osteopathic derm residencies (where you are competing against students who many non-DOs would label as weaker students academically)? Once again, if I wanted one of these uber-competitive spots, I'd have to go with osteopathic; UNLESS I was so confident in my studliness that I felt I really had a shot at being top of the class at the MD school and being able to smash the USMLE (which, from what the majority of DOs say, is much harder than the COMLEX, which is what you take to get the osteopathic residency).

Is my theory perfect? No, it's probably just that; a theory that wouldn't work in real life. Still, I don't believe it's completely unrealistic. I think if one was completely unconcerned about the letters after their name, and only cared about what they felt put them at an advantage for certain residencies, they might actually choose DO a little more often. Because in the end, if I wanted to be an ENT or something, and I ended up a family practice MD, I'd probably be pretty down. I don't think I'd care that I had MD after my name; I'd rather have DO after my name and get to practice in the field that I wanted to most. And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Your theory might seem reasonable to a misinformed individual but average allo students still fare better in the match than above average DO students.

Nope. I chose DO because I like it more than the MD route. Plus, all the docs I knew where awesome and I later found they were DOs.

By the way, it's awfully scary but your long post was actually 70-80% correct. Weird.

You can find my research published in next months issue of "Voodoo and Spine-cracking: The Journal of Osteopathic Medicine"

Your theory might seem reasonable to a misinformed individual but average allo students still fare better in the match than above average DO students.

MDs fare better in the allopathic match; they fair much worse in the osteopathic match. 0% match rate for MDs into DO residencies, actually.

What are my chances getting an allopathic derm residency? 5%? What are my chances of getting an osteopathic derm residency? 5%? Either way its ******edly difficult, but at least as a DO, the pool of applicants may be easier to one-up. That's the short version of the bloated treatise I just posted.

Mmm-Hmm. Maybe you aren't lying, but you may be naive. You may wise up someday and wish you had gone MD. Maybe not.

MDs fare better in the allopathic match; they fair much worse in the osteopathic match. 0% match rate for MDs into DO residencies, actually.

What are my chances getting an allopathic derm residency? 5%? What are my chances of getting an osteopathic derm residency? 5%? Either way its ******edly difficult, but at least as a DO, the pool of applicants may be easier to one-up. That's the short version of the bloated treatise I just posted.

I don't know and am too lazy to find out but I would guess that a higher percentage of US MDs become dermatologists than DOs . . . and not because more of them wanted to. That is another short way of stating my point. I understand what you are saying about being in a higher tier of your class in a DO school but it just doesn't happen like that in the real world and there are not enought osteopathic residencies in competitive specialties to make it worth this chance. I also understand that you and I probably agree on most of this stuff but you are trying to see things from a different perspective and I respect that.

You can find my research published in next months issue of "Voodoo and Spine-cracking: The Journal of Osteopathic Medicine"

Hey, at least the Journal of the AOA is entertaining to read. JAMA is so boring. "Incidence of the A77dkLldk-sske gene in the general population that also exhibits mild symptoms of cough-variant asthma among 30-40 year old Caucasian immigrants." :sleep:

Mmm-Hmm. Maybe you aren't lying, but you may be naive. You may wise up someday and wish you had gone MD. Maybe not.

I think it's equally naive to think that because someone goes to Hopkins that they think they will have an easier time getting a derm or plastics spot. Bottom line is your numbers count for far more than your school's name. Since more of your classmates match into derm (favorite example here) from Hopkins than at Wyoming College of Touchy-feely Osteopathic Medicine, than yes, your chances are better. This is just a statistic, though, and one that in no way, shape, or form will decide whether or not YOU match. It simply reflects that your class had a lot of really smart and hard working kids.

Statistics serve a purpose, but just because your classmates historically do well in the match does not mean you will. You aren't going anywhere with a 200 on Step 1 that a DO with a 245 isn't. If anything the DO is going to leave you in his dust; his alternative, herbal medicine, fairy-dust.

I don't know and am too lazy to find out but I would guess that a higher percentage of US MDs become dermatologists than DOs . . . and not because more of them wanted to. That is another short way of stating my point. I understand what you are saying about being in a higher tier of your class in a DO school but it just doesn't happen like that in the real world and there are not enought osteopathic residencies in competitive specialties to make it worth this chance. I also understand that you and I probably agree on most of this stuff but you are trying to see things from a different perspective and I respect that.

We do agree on most, except for the fact that ATHF > Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I mean, Brak's a great guy, but ATHF is the equivelant of a US MD and Space Ghost is the equivelant of a DO (i.e. chiropractor with prescription rights).

Note: I hope my jabs at DOs are coming off sarcastic enough... I'd hate to get banned over these ridiculous quips.

Hey, at least the Journal of the AOA is entertaining to read. JAMA is so boring. "Incidence of the A77dkLldk-sske gene in the general population that also exhibits mild symptoms of cough-variant asthma among 30-40 year old Caucasian immigrants." :sleep:

I totally agree with you here. They need to jazz it up a bit with the "JAMA Hot Doc of the Week" or something.

My situation is different. So is yours. To you, an MD was the only way. To me, a DO was the best path.

It's naive to actually think that the MD degree will be the best path in every single circumstance.

No, I'm not lying. I chose DO over MD. There were some classmates of mine that did the same. Granted, I could count them with the fingers of one hand, but there were some that wanted DO over MD. The majority, as you assume, would've most likely preferred to go MD instead.

I totally agree with you here. They need to jazz it up a bit with the "JAMA Hot Doc of the Week" or something.

That would be much better than some of the cheesy paintings they show on the cover.

I figured a gentleman like you would reply in such bonehead fashion.

Maybe you're psychic.

...but does the alternative way to practice medicine that they provide necessarily generate bad doctors, or even partly? Do you have anything else to back it up apart from prejudice and pre-conceived notions that have no strong basis? Those are things you should think about before you start venting your fustration.

Am I fustrated? I really don't think so, but if it makes you feel better about my comments, let's go with that. Sure, I'm fustrated that....let's see....caribbean med students....have more difficulty getting competitive residencies in the U.S.? You may have to help me out here, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be fustrated with.

It doesn't take 4 brains to see that one of them was doing something wrong, but the point was that there are several other factors that could have played into one of them not getting into those schools tat differs from knowledge or numbers. E.g. Time application was turned in, ethnic background, age, responsibilities. But then again those hardly matter to you.

Okay, let's play the excuse game. We all feel really sorry for you that you weren't able to get your application in early, you're not black, you're older/younger than average, and you've got other serious responsibilities. I'm pretty sure you're the only one, and you really got shafted. How unfair. You totally slipped through the cracks and the world has witnessed a massive injustice that you, a person who had the planets align against him in serious factors totally outside of your power were SOMEHOW, not granted admission when you clearly deserved it more than everyone else.

And for me to try and prove to you that these individuals are real will truly just give the impression that I care about your bonehead comments, and that will be untrue.

Whoa, it sounds like I definitely have an apology to make to you. If I somehow led you to believe that I care or that it matters even a little whether "these individuals" are real, I am sorry. You just sound awfully bitter.

Best of Luck to you too. (I get the funny feeling you're gonna need it more)[/U][/B]

You're sweet for wishing me luck and calling me a gentleman. I sincerely do wish you good luck, and not in a condescending way.

Note: I hope my jabs at DOs are coming off sarcastic enough... I'd hate to get banned over these ridiculous quips.

No worries. If anyone gets bent out of shape...a DO can fix them! :D

I think it's equally naive to think that because someone goes to Hopkins that they think they will have an easier time getting a derm or plastics spot. Bottom line is your numbers count for far more than your school's name. Since more of your classmates match into derm (favorite example here) from Hopkins than at Wyoming College of Touchy-feely Osteopathic Medicine, than yes, your chances are better. This is just a statistic, though, and one that in no way, shape, or form will decide whether or not YOU match. It simply reflects that your class had a lot of really smart and hard working kids.

Statistics serve a purpose, but just because your classmates historically do well in the match does not mean you will. You aren't going anywhere with a 200 on Step 1 that a DO with a 245 isn't. If anything the DO is going to leave you in his dust; his alternative, herbal medicine, fairy-dust.

This kind of contradicts your earlier post. Now you are saying that you actually have to do better at a DO school to compete with US MD students--something I totally agree with.

I again have nothing to back up my hunch (I'm just being like that today) but I would guess that when you look at success in matching into competitive residencies the difference is less between Hopkins and podunk US MD school than between said podunk US MD school and Kirksville COOM (isn't that considered the best DO school?).

Geez, four replies from me in one day. Vacation rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.