Seems like a lot of clinical research fellows did not match this year....

jh0276

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2009
Status
Is it just me or does it seem by the match list that there must have been a lot of clinical research fellows that did not match this year? That does not bode well for those of us who are thinking about postponing life for a incredibly scrawny salary as a research monkey all in the hopes of matching. Does anyone know how many research fellows did not match? I know of atleast 3 personally....

tennisballs

5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Where is the available match list? I know of 1 clinical research fellow that did match.

jh0276

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2009
Status
I just meant when you look at the SDN match list under the stickies, there are relatively few fellows that seemed to be on the list in comparison to how many we all know are out there. Also I remember a lot more fellowships advertising last year at this time than this year.

kralwok

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
well, there were several outside of the match spots this year (more than usual i think) that they could have snuck into...

IzzyMD09

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Everywhere
Status
Attending Physician
Could mean 1 of 2 things

1. They snuck in outside of the match
2. Or they just failed to match

I know one research fellow that didnt match after a 2 year fellowship, but it may have been because he was not competitive enough to begin with

I also know that Tufts matched 2 people outside the match who were fellows at other programs, one from UMDNJ, dont know the other

May 25, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looking at the match results, seems as if there are at least 25 people who did research fellowships who ended up matching.... I think that's pretty good; more than previous years.

It's a personal decision to decide whether or not a fellowship (and the time you delay residency because of it) is worth it to you. I think if you are genuinely interested in derm and are persistent you can eventually match... it may take 3 or 4 times though, if you have some big holes in your application (e.g. low step 1, bad grades). Some people just want to finish their medical training in another specialty and get on with life.... there's no shame in choosing that route. More power to you, you'll save yourself the headache of going through the interview/match process again.

p.s. I think it's hard to really know the success of research fellowships.... since the NRMP doesn't do separate stats on that group of people there's no way of knowing what the match rate is.

Reactions: DermViser