Seems like I have to start a trust fund just for the MS Application process...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Aug 22, 2001.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored

Medical Student
    Between MCAT fees, application fees, flights/buses to interviews, studying materials, interview attire, room and board for visiting schools, the cost seems like it will really add up. Im at least 3 years away from this process but it seems like i need to start a fund now!
    And to think I wanted to apply to at least 10 schools! :(

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

Most people spend around 3,000-6,000 dollars for the whole application process, depending on the number of schools you apply to and interview at and how cheap you can get flights to places or whether or not you can take long drives.

4. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

Hi Nubian. Yeah, it's expensive! I've been saving for a while, but the money is already starting to fly out the door. I'm a little worried about covering fall tuition, paying for this process, AND getting enough to eat--I'm not joking!!!

As far as flying, I simply don't have the money! Sure I could charge the tickets, but it took me years to get out of credit card debt, and there's no way I'm going back. I applied to 10 schools, and I'm afraid to say that being within a day's drive was a MAJOR consideration for me. I would have applied to Baylor, Einstien etc, but I just can't afford to be flying around, or to take the time off to drive there!

Since you have a few years, starting to squirrel a little money away now is a great idea!

5. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

I'm applying to 31 schools total (6 AMCAS, 5 Texas) and plan on spending upwards of $6,000 for the whole application process.

$1000 for AMCAS
    $1500 for secondary fees
    $3600 for interviews at $450 per trip, assuming 8 interviews total

=$6,100.

Of course if I'm fortunate enough to get more than 8 interviews out of 31 schools, that cost will increase dramatically.

This will definitely be the most money-crunched semester I've ever had, more than all my other semesters (10 altogether) combined.

6. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored

Medical Student
    $6000 !!! ( I literally gasped when I saw this)
    I guess my choices will be restricted to the east coast when the time comes! Go Greyhound! :)

7. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    Baylor said
    """$1000 for AMCAS
    $1500 for secondary fees
    $3600 for interviews at $450 per trip, assuming 8 interviews total""""

$100,000 for Medical school

Being able to save a patient's life.....Priceless!!!!!!!!!!