Segregated Sex Ed in MED SCHOOL!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The way my school teaches patient exam, we meet in assigned small groups to learn the exam for individual regions. I have just learned that they are splitting our regular groups up and recombining them into gender groups so that men and women will be learning the exam for male genioturinary system separately. I never imagined they would do this, dividing us up into "boys & girls" to teach us "sex-ed". Does anyone else think this is strange? How does your med school do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't start med school until next year, but it is a bit strange to me. It seems like it would be a better learning experience if genders were mixed. It wouldnt be out of my comfort zone, but I guess that may be the case for some others. I think men need a woman's perspective and vice versa.

We learn physical diagnosis in 4 person same-sex groups. These groups involve "self-exams" where we often need to remove our shirts, and/or unbutton our pants while examining each other. This is why they keep us in same-sex groups. The physician preceptor for each group is NOT however, always of the same gender (mine is though).

As for learning male and female GU exams, we learn on trained (paid) patients. And this is done in mixed gender groups. I don't see why it would be necessary to make those groups same sex. After all, it's not each other that you're examining? Did they give a reason?

Incidentaly, I have my female breast and pelvic exam session this Wednesday! Yikes, better go read Bates...