Selected for AF HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

River Rat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I found out today I was selected for the AF HPSP, and have been back and forth on my decision for the past several months after researching what it means to commit to the scholarship. I have several major concerns, which I don't think there's a real concrete answer to, but I'm going to ask them anyways, and want to know what else to take in to consideration as well.

1. I have been looking at the FAP program as well, and understand that there's a lot more freedom associated with it in regards to where and what you're able to specialize in. I've been reading a lot of negative posts about the AF HPSP, talking about exactly what I'm fearful of, the worst case scenario of

a) not being able to specialize in something that I would be able to if I were a civilian,

b) being placed on GMO duty, upon which my active duty requirements would go back up once I return for residency (which might be difficult in itself.) FAP seems to be a huge advantage, and this seems to be a situation of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I guess what I want to ask you guys is, since I will be going to a D.O. school, is the FAP program selective of their candidates, preferring those of ACGME programs vs AOA programs? I'm interested in a variety of fields currently, EM, Ortho, Gas. As a DO, would it be a better idea for me to go HPSP, or FAP if I chose to do one of those service scholarships, also keeping in consideration the likely possibility of having a longer ADO than initially intended with the HPSP.

Members don't see this ad.

Both your concerns are well founded and important. Also they are likely to happen. In the past few yrs up to 25% of the incoming class gets shafted into a mandatory 2 yr Flight surgery/gmo slot leaving you one year to further languish in that, or start a military residency which will extend your time in the AF for much longer than you signed up for. I would recommend against HPSP, and I'd recommend you go to med school, get trained in what you want, and then see what the military climate is like. They'll take you in a heartbeat as a trained physician, and you may have more of a choice of assignment, time, etc etc. I think you close too many doors by taking HPSP.

Thank you for your response, it seems that that is the general opinion of the HPSP. I'm wondering then, when would it be appropriate to sign up for the HPSP, when there seems to be some serious pitfalls?

In addition, I spoke to my recruiter after being selected for the HPSP about the FAP route, and was told that the FAP was more limited and that you could only sign up for a max of two years. It sounded fishy, because from what I've read, FAP seems like an excellent alternative for service for someone who has not yet been involved with the military.

I guess another consideration I have is that since I'm going to be a D.O., and will possibly be going to an AOA residency, does this mean anything for a) civilian deferments granted by the Air Force HPSP or b) selection for the FAP? I am also taking into consideration the opportunities to be able to do a military residency through the HPSP route as a possible perk to the HPSP route, and am wondering if there are any pros regarding a military residency compared to a DO one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try asking your recruiter to put you in touch with current docs that are post HPSP and not on this website. It'll be a biased bunch, sure, because I guess the recruiter would be more likely to put you in touch with the ones that ended up really happy, but you've been seeing mostly the ones biased the other way on these forums so it might help put your decision in focus.

I've shadowed a few docs on base, two did USUHS, and one did HPSP. I don't know any that has done FAP. The main difference that I recall is HPSP doesn't have the committment that USUHS does, where you owe 7 years of active duty service vs. 4 years (?). I don't know much about FAP. Also, unless you have extra money, and like I mentioned I don't know a lot about FAP, find out if you get any stipend or pay while attending. Thats something I would actually like to know about FAP, which may give me another program to consider. Just my two cents.