Selecting classes for next semester to counterbalance past semester's low grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which plan will help in making-up for this past semester?

• Plan A

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Plan B

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I am the Stig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a difficult time choosing classes for next semester (Winter/Spring) of my third year. I would like to at least partially make-up for my low performance this past semester in my Biochem and Microbiology classes by taking classes that can counter-balance them.

Plan A:
Biopsych - advanced discussions on specific topics in physiological psychology; 3 credits
Biopsych - "Neurobiology of Learning and Memory"; 3 credits; the more important of the two biopsych classes
Genetics - 4 credits
English - 3 cedits
Elective - 3 credits

Plan B:
Biopsych - focus on specific topics in physiological psychology; 3 credits
Genetics - 4 credits
English - 3 credits
Animal Physiology - lab and lecture count towards same grade; 5 credits

Plan A
would give me a busy schedule in classes that I really enjoy (except English which is really hard for me). There is an extensive research project for the Neurobio of Learning and Memory class. It would be my second time having the professor that will be teaching it and I think he may be able to write a good letter of recommendation for me. Also, the class itself would be wonderful.

Plan B
would require me to drop Neurobio of Learning and Memory in order to take Physiology. Part of the problem with Physiology is that the lab is part of the grade and I don't do well in labs. I am pretty bad at them and the lab would make for a hellish semester.

So, how do these two semester plans compare in terms of ability to counterbalance poor grades in the two classes I had this semester (Biochem and Microbio)?

If it helps this is how my last semester went:
Biochem: C+
Microbio: B
Biopsych: A
another psychology: A
another psychology: A
By the way, I am a biology major and have had just about all A's until this point in time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If anyone else is having a hard time deciding on classes, please do post here. A poly-inquiry thread is fine by me.

if you have trouble in labs, id go with plan a. while it may be more credits, it would be more enjoyable (to me) because there is no reason why i couldnt be successful.

personally, im happy that i dont have any math courses next semester

Members don't see this ad :)
They both seem around the same level of difficulty. In my school, the classes are ranked as follows: Genetics>Physiology>Neurobio.

Is there any reason why you have to take so many credits? It looks like maybe you tried to do too much last semester. I would do Plan A but retake biochem instead of taking the elective. My school requires biochem as a prereq, and some other schools do too, so it's better if you can at least get a B. You were close with your C+, so you can probably get at least a B if you retake. Also, I would drop the biopsych course that is less important. You said you're a bio major, so you don't need that many psych courses, and you want to avoid getting any more Cs. That will still give you 13-14 credits (depending on whether biochem has a lab) with three hard classes (biochem, genetics, and English), which should be challenging enough!

Is there any reason why you have to take so many credits? It looks like maybe you tried to do too much last semester. I would do Plan A but retake biochem instead of taking the elective. My school requires biochem as a prereq, and some other schools do too, so it's better if you can at least get a B. You were close with your C+, so you can probably get at least a B if you retake. Also, I would drop the biopsych course that is less important. You said you're a bio major, so you don't need that many psych courses, and you want to avoid getting any more Cs. That will still give you 13-14 credits (depending on whether biochem has a lab) with three hard classes (biochem, genetics, and English), which should be challenging enough!
The level of difficulty in biochem was a relatively minor contributor to my poor grade in the class. Its complicated... I had not yet considered retaking biochem but it may be a good idea as some of my in-state schools require it. The thing is that my grades up til now really have been great and I am hoping that an adcom could just view the past semester as a flop and move past it. I'll look more into the alternative you're suggesting. Thanks.

I would do plan A to help boost my GPA with the more credits. Plus the lab factor.

what's a stig?

The Stig is the name given to the anonymous racing driver on Top Gear. Only those most intimately involved with the show know who he truly is. The phrase "I am the Stig" is something of an identifier for motoring enthusiasts or Top Gear fans. It really is an excellent program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_stig

Last edited:
Plan A
would give me a busy schedule in classes that I really enjoy (except English which is really hard for me). There is an extensive research project for the Neurobio of Learning and Memory class. It would be my second time having the professor that will be teaching it and I think he may be able to write a good letter of recommendation for me. Also, the class itself would be wonderful.

Plan B
would require me to drop Neurobio of Learning and Memory in order to take Physiology. Part of the problem with Physiology is that the lab is part of the grade and I don't do well in labs. I am pretty bad at them and the lab would make for a hellish semester.

It seems like you answered your own question : )

I would go with plan A.