1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

selecting LOR writers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bashir, Jan 3, 2009.

1. bashir

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm probably going to apply early decision to my state school, which requests just two LORs from professors (though you can submit up to four from various people). It doesn't require that either of them be from science faculty, and I don't know any of my science professors particularly well (English and poli sci major). Is this viewed as a de facto requirement? Would it look bad not to have any letters from science faculty? I have plenty of humanities professors I could ask who I'm confident would write me strong recommendations. As far as science faculty goes, I had a chemistry professor last semester who was very impressed with my peformance on the national chemistry exam but who may or may not remember my name. (In other words, he doesn't really know me). It was a class of 80 or so. I'm torn. What do you guys think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Since you are looking to go into a science related field, i think it'd be smart to get a LOR from a science professor if at all possible. I'd at least ask your chem professor.

4. bashir

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the reply. Anyone else want to weigh in?

5. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm pretty sure med schools (and your pre-med committee if you have one) will require you to have an LOR from a science prof

6. fightinI

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would double, then triple check that you don't need a science LOR. If that is the case, and your science grades along with your MCAT scores are stellar, then you'll be fine without one.

7. luctoretemergo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Why not get two strong LOR from your non-science prof's which you are more familar with, then one science prof LOR just to be on the safe side, since you can have upto 4 LOR's.

8. PreMedP

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd say go for the science LOR over a potentially stronger non-science... maybe 1 from each. I asked 3 profs that barely knew my name to write me LOR's and I got interviews from all the schools I wanted to attend.

It really doesn't matter what it says in the LOR as long as it's not bad. I'm under the assumption that most adcoms really don't care.