Selecting schools to send DAT scores - at registration??

NDPitch

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Buffalo
Status
Dental Student
I didn't know this is how it worked, haha. I'm signing up for the DAT, but I haven't really come up with a solid list of schools that I'll be applying to. I know some, but not all of them. The page where you select schools states...

"The fee for Dental schools not selected at the time of application is $30 per report."

Oh come on now! What a rip, ha. So I guess I should know everywhere I'm going to apply before I register?

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
OR...just select them all. It doesn't hurt. It definitely saves you from paying $30 to each addition later. Silly policy. Wonder if they'll ever amend that.

crax

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
select all, but it isnt too crazy to think you should know which dental schools to which you will be applying considering it is something you have worked towards and prepared yourself for a number of years :D

goffdent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2008
CORN
Status
Dental Student
Choose the 5 or whatever you get included now.. and after the test you can have test scores sent to any additional schools (then you can choose only the additional ones you are actually going to complete an application for.

OP
NDPitch

NDPitch

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Buffalo
Status
Dental Student
I took the advice of just selecting them all. Hopefully that has no negative side effects. Also, I didn't know they'd ask for such detailed information to take the DAT, such as my class rank in high school. I have no idea what that was, and guessed the middle of the road (60 to 80 %).

chill45

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
60-80% would mean you're in the bottom 60-80% of your class

OP
NDPitch

NDPitch

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Buffalo
Status
Dental Student
60-80% would mean you're in the bottom 60-80% of your class
I don't think that's correct. It asked what percentile I was in. If you are in the 90th percentile of something, 10% of people did better than you. Regardless, does the high school rank play into anything at all?

Edit: I think the questions are just part of a study, and don't matter. Anyways, did anyone else select every school? Did it hurt you at all?

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
I think it's just for research or a study or something. It doesn't affect anything.

chill45

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Yea just select all the schools, thats what I did when I signed up a couple months ago. No harm no foul.

And yea I guess that would be right, but I think it asked for your actual class rank anyways. Guess it just depends how you word it but if you say the 80% "percentile" then you're right that would mean 20% did better than you.