Selectives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for everyone. Out of curiosity, how does your school define what counts as a selective vs. what does not? Is this mainly found in DO curriculum and not in the MD curriculum? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is for everyone. Out of curiosity, how does your school define what counts as a selective vs. what does not? Is this mainly found in DO curriculum and not in the MD curriculum? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that selectives, whether or not they're called selectives, are pretty much in both MD and DO curricula. I think it differs more by school rather than degree.

An elective at my school is whatever you want and whereever you want, though it may be a medical / surgical elective. An example of a surgical elective would be doing a month of neurosurgery half way across the nation at a hospital that isn't affiliated with my school.

A selective is where we have 4-5 different rotation options at one of our school's core hospitals. For example, we have 1 selective that has to be an IM subspecialty (GI, nephrology, cardiology, etc).

I'm pretty sure that selectives, whether or not they're called selectives, are pretty much in both MD and DO curricula. I think it differs more by school rather than degree.

An elective at my school is whatever you want and whereever you want, though it may be a medical / surgical elective. An example of a surgical elective would be doing a month of neurosurgery half way across the nation at a hospital that isn't affiliated with my school.

A selective is where we have 4-5 different rotation options at one of our school's core hospitals. For example, we have 1 selective that has to be an IM subspecialty (GI, nephrology, cardiology, etc).

So, in essence, that does limit your exposure to the number of residency programs you may wish to do rotations.

Is it possible to get a rotation at a residency program to count as a selective?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, in essence, that does limit your exposure to the number of residency programs you may wish to do rotations.

Is it possible to get a rotation at a residency program to count as a selective?
Yes and no... The way I like to think of it is a flexible part of our core curriculum. But I suppose you could think of it as "taking away" from exposure. It's kind of a glass half-empty / half-full thing.

I think what you're getting at is "can you do an audition rotation for one of your selectives?" and the answer is no, not unless the residency program is at my school's core sites and one of the options for the selective. I should note that my school only has 1 month of selective, and that's in 3rd year. Also, this is the first year they've started doing them.