*selectivity of M.D./Ph.D. programs in question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frodo7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AS OF 11/17/09 I received: 3 MD/PhD interview invites :D, 0 MD invites :mad: (2 OOS, 1 INSTATE)

***EDIT: AMCAS/MCAT COMPLETE 8/30, COMPLETE at MOST SCHOOLS ~9/13

---3.9 SCI AMCAS GPA :thumbup:, 3.4 CGPA :thumbdown:

---I had 3.7 undergrad GPA at my university (100 credit hours of science courses and approx 30 hours of AO)

---28 MCAT :thumbdown: was doing better on practice tests

--- I have LOTS of research exp :thumbup: and a decent amount of clinical exp ;).... and a lot of business management experience within the family company:thumbup::thumbup:)

I will also have some DO/PhD secondaries completed by end of next week so I'm shooting for maybe 1 or 2 interviews from a DO school -- I really believe in the DO philosophy and I hope to get in, so I'm praying for an acceptance :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

AS OF 11/17/09 I received: 3 MD/PhD interview invites :D, 0 MD invites :mad: (2 OOS, 1 INSTATE)

***EDIT: AMCAS/MCAT COMPLETE 8/30, COMPLETE at MOST SCHOOLS ~9/13

---3.9 SCI AMCAS GPA :thumbup:, 3.4 CGPA :thumbdown:

---I had 3.7 undergrad GPA at my university (100 credit hours of science courses and approx 30 hours of AO)

---28 MCAT :thumbdown: was doing better on practice tests

--- I have LOTS of research exp :thumbup: and a decent amount of clinical exp ;).... and a lot of business management experience within the family company:thumbup::thumbup:)

I will also have some DO/PhD secondaries completed by end of next week so I'm shooting for maybe 1 or 2 interviews from a DO school -- I really believe in the DO philosophy and I hope to get in, so I'm praying for an acceptance :xf:

Sounds awesome to me. I'm suprised you have 3 MD/PhD interviews with a 28 MCAT, I really thought you needed >33 to have a shot at any of those..

I get the feeling that MD/PhD programs are more caring about the quality of research than stats (though clearly the two often go hand-in-hand). I have a friend who has an MD/PhD interview with a 26.

Moving to What are my Chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds awesome to me. I'm suprised you have 3 MD/PhD interviews with a 28 MCAT, I really thought you needed >33 to have a shot at any of those..

me too, apparently it's easier to get into a MD PhD program. But I guess it makes sense, MD PhD programs receive at most a few hundred applications and many times some schools will only have ~80 applications to review.

me too, apparently it's easier to get into a MD PhD program. But I guess it makes sense, MD PhD programs receive at most a few hundred applications and many times some schools will only have ~80 applications to review.

Are you sure? This contradicts everything I've heard so far...

Are you sure? This contradicts everything I've heard so far...

I mean I think it depends on which programs you're applying to. Surely all of the top top MSTP programs in the country are highly competitive; if you're applying to MD/PhD at your state school, though, you're probably not competing with very many people.

No, many programs accept the MCAT in lieu of the GRE.

maybe....well, since most schools have 5000 + applications to review, they don't ever have a chance to thoroughly examine all the resumes. I guess I am getting more MD/PhD interviews because my application is actually being read for content, instead of jumping straight to the MCAT score.