Self Assessments vs Actual MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trippenlatin

awalkwitheric.com
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that most say AAMC 11 and the self assessments are most like the actual test. For those who have completed both the self assessments from AAMC and taken the test how did your percent compare to your actual test result?

My scores so far
Bio: 75%
Physics: 72%
GChem: 82%

I was thinking that with these scores I would be looking at 9-12 for BS and PS...thoughts?

Plus I take my test June 20, and optimistic about low 30's.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that most say AAMC 11 and the self assessments are most like the actual test. For those who have completed both the self assessments from AAMC and taken the test how did your percent compare to your actual test result?

My scores so far

I was thinking that with these scores I would be looking at 9-12 for BS and PS...thoughts?

Well, first of all.. the value in the self-assessment is more in terms of finding lapses in content knowledge (i.e. electrochemistry) rather than in terms of predictive value.

But for BS.. you didn't do the O-chem one? The Bio is probably around a 9-10 alone. For PS, that is probably a strong 11, maybe a 12.

Again, better to go through the self-assessment now and look at the topics you were weak in though.

Thanks for the reply. I have not taken the Ochem yet. I am going to try and squeeze it in between now and Thur. Ochem is my weakest. I am betting that if I spend time on areas that are just simple mistakes I will get more points for my time. I think I can correct the bio, physics and gchem issues much easier than I could with ochem. I am not looking for 14 or 15 in those sections but I think an 11-12 is possible. As they say on the trade floor, I'm taking a flyer that Ochem will focus on what I do understand and not what I don't :)

Thanks for the reply. I have not taken the Ochem yet. I am going to try and squeeze it in between now and Thur. Ochem is my weakest. I am betting that if I spend time on areas that are just simple mistakes I will get more points for my time. I think I can correct the bio, physics and gchem issues much easier than I could with ochem. I am not looking for 14 or 15 in those sections but I think an 11-12 is possible. As they say on the trade floor, I'm taking a flyer that Ochem will focus on what I do understand and not what I don't :)

Yea.. I mean a 13-15 is pretty much the same thing (1-2 question difference) and anywhere from mid 80s plus on the self assessment from what I've seen. 70-85 typically the 11-12 area.

Again, this is all mitigated by the fact that you can get lucky or unlucky with the topics you're specifically tested on during your MCAT.

Don't take Ochem until you review Ochem.. make sure to focus on the high yield Ochem stuff. No need to memorize advanced topics here, just focus on the basics.

SN1/SN2, NMR/spec, nucleophile/electrophile and enols come to mind right away. Also things like BP/solubility and simple hybridization/bond angles, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

My scores so far

Someone else on the forums mentioned they scored 91%, 88%, 99%, and 90% in the chem, physics, ochem, and biology AAMC diagnostics respectively. They ended up scoring a 14P and 15B on the real thing.

Yea.. I mean a 13-15 is pretty much the same thing (1-2 question difference) and anywhere from mid 80s plus on the self assessment from what I've seen. 70-85 typically the 11-12 area.

Again, this is all mitigated by the fact that you can get lucky or unlucky with the topics you're specifically tested on during your MCAT.

Don't take Ochem until you review Ochem.. make sure to focus on the high yield Ochem stuff. No need to memorize advanced topics here, just focus on the basics.

SN1/SN2, NMR/spec, nucleophile/electrophile and enols come to mind right away. Also things like BP/solubility and simple hybridization/bond angles, etc.

does your 70-85 rule apply to VR. i just took verbal assessment for VR and got a 72%. i will be happy if that translates to a 10 on exam date.

like OP i am taking it June 20.

probably gonna take gchem later today.

does your 70-85 rule apply to VR. i just took verbal assessment for VR and got a 72%. i will be happy if that translates to a 10 on exam date.

like OP i am taking it June 20.

probably gonna take gchem later today.

I dunno.. i never took the verbal one myself so can't really get a feel for it either.

72% should probably be good enough for a 10 though.

Those are solid scores (the ones over 90%). I havent taken the verbal and probably wont. I have raised my verbal score from a 6 to a 10-11. I don't think I will do much better than that.

Those are solid scores (the ones over 90%). I havent taken the verbal and probably wont. I have raised my verbal score from a 6 to a 10-11. I don't think I will do much better than that.

use the verbal.. its the best source of verbal practice outside the FLs

Well I took the verbal got a 67%. I missed 9 in the first 40, 15 of the second, and 17 of the third. I was beat. Now time to review it and see where I can get better. Most of my practice tests have been 9,10...so I think with a fresh brain and bit of review I might stay in double digits on the real deal. Going to work on the Ochem one today and only review tomorrow.