Self-Conscious about type of car you drive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jeeze, what's with the angry tone? Calm down.

Not angry, and inferring tone from a forum post is pretty silly. You clearly didn't read or comprehend what I posted originally. I can't imagine a single financial aid circumstance that would allow someone to buy a luxury car with loan money, never mind someone that would actually do it. Have you ever actually spent time dealing with financial aid? Do you go to medical school? I base my opinions on anecdotes/experiences that I have had, which are by no means a perfect databank. But you sound like you are just making stuff up after having almost no experience on these matters...

As for the A4 thing, I was always taught through undergrad and medical school to look up questions before asking them. I'm sorry if self reliance offends you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not angry, and inferring tone from a forum post is pretty silly. You clearly didn't read or comprehend what I posted originally. I can't imagine a single financial aid circumstance that would allow someone to buy a luxury car with loan money, never mind someone that would actually do it. Have you ever actually spent time dealing with financial aid? Do you go to medical school? I base my opinions on anecdotes/experiences that I have had, which are by no means a perfect databank. But you sound like you are just making stuff up after having almost no experience on these matters...

As for the A4 thing, I was always taught through undergrad and medical school to look up questions before asking them. I'm sorry if self reliance offends you.

I am well into medical school (third year) and 100% of everything has been paid for by financial aid. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I also unfortunately know people who do have fancy cars and are paying their car loans with private student loans. The couple of people I know who are doing this bought the cars before medical school when they were working full-time jobs and had salaries. Now they are really regretting that decision.

Frankly, your story about high school kids getting Mercedes sounds a lot more made-up than anything I've said (all of which is true). Perhaps we are simply coming from two different sets of experiences.

Also, I completely comprehended what you said. I never even remotely accused you of not liking someone because they had a fancy car. I was simply answering the OP's question and responding to your aspects of your post at the same time. After all, this thread is all about answering whether we'd hold a fancy car against someone. I'm not sure why you took it so personally when I answered that question for myself.

Lastly, I was taught throughout undergrad and medical school to have conversations with people without being totally pissed off whenever anyone asked me an innocent question. But then again, I was also taught to be polite and neither of us are doing that, so perhaps I can't hold your flaws against you when I am showing one of my own right now too.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel a little self-conscious if you driving your parent's old hand-me down luxury cars to school or social events? Most of my classmates seem to drive Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas? Do you get labeled as the "spoiled princess" or "douchebag" tag if you drive a nicer car than what most of your attendings drive?

Oh yea, everytime we see you its like "douchebag princess" thinks shes so cool with her bentley and giant beer that she kisses

We hate you

Members don't see this ad :)
If I spent 35,000 on a car, I would hope that it lasts more than four years! If you want a car for just four years, try a tenth of that.

I plan on keeping it for more than 4 years. You see I had the same car in high school and absolutely loved it. Nothing fancy as a matter of fact 98 was the last year they made it.

It's stupid to judge someone just because they got an older luxury car. Besides, the few a**hats in your class will find plenty of ways to identify themselves. They don't need luxury cars for that.

Incoming M2 here. It's about time to put down my 2002 Acura with 150,000 miles and loads of problems. Would it really be that "douchey" to buy a certified pre-owned 2011 A4 for ~$28,000? I figure this would be the car that would carry me through residency as well.

And yes, my parents are willing to help with payments until I reach residency.

Incoming M2 here. It's about time to put down my 2002 Acura with 150,000 miles and loads of problems. Would it really be that "douchey" to buy a certified pre-owned 2011 A4 for ~$28,000? I figure this would be the car that would carry me through residency as well.

And yes, my parents are willing to help with payments until I reach residency.

Douchey? Why should you care what people think about the car you drive? Get the best car you can afford (that you like/want), and that's that. Basing the decision of what car you will buy based on its "doucheyness" makes no sense. Don't let others dictate how you live. The A4 is a really nice sedan and the same med students that may say it's "douchey" that you own it are the ones that would trade their car for it in a second. Think about what you want and what fits you, not how others perceive you. Perhaps it is you that lacks self-awareness :rolleyes:

EDIT: Last sentence is an inside joke between DearScience and I:D

Last edited:
Don't be self conscious. 2 of my attendings just bought accords. One owns a Porsche and a sierra and will be using the accord for commutes. The other drives also drives a Jaguar and will be using the accord for commutes. I have another radiology attending that drives a >10 yr old accord but he tends to show pictures of his family in their 15000 sq ft mansion.

Your attending still makes more money than you.

The OP is projecting...

not everyone feels insecure when they see someone has something they don't have. Clearly, OP, you do. So you project these feelings on others. You assume that they would feel insecure when they see you with your POS car (if it's not worth over 100K you need some world experience. There are people as old as you with more money than your parents). Cough

The OP is projecting...

not everyone feels insecure when they see someone has something they don't have. Clearly, OP, you do. So you project these feelings on others. You assume that they would feel insecure when they see you with your POS car (if it's not worth over 100K you need some world experience. There are people as old as you with more money than your parents). Cough

Exactly, these feelings are often projections of one's own mind.

It's not about the car. It's about the license plate holder with the HYPSM alumni affiliation.

Don't confuse lower middle class status with upper middle class status. Who are you trying to impress, anyway? The hoi polloi?

It's not about the car. It's about the license plate holder with the HYPSM alumni affiliation.

Don't confuse lower middle class status with upper middle class status. Who are you trying to impress, anyway? The hoi polloi?

?

Who are you talking to/about?

The OP is projecting...

Also its not unusual to see a wealthy person in a modest car..

Douchey? Why should you care what people think about the car you drive? Get the best car you can afford (that you like/want), and that's that. Basing the decision of what car you will buy based on its "doucheyness" makes no sense. Don't let others dictate how you live. The A4 is a really nice sedan and the same med students that may say it's "douchey" that you own it are the ones that would trade their car for it in a second. Think about what you want and what fits you, not how others perceive you. Perhaps it is you that lacks self-awareness :rolleyes:

EDIT: Last sentence is an inside joke between DearScience and I:D

touché

Anyone else feel a little self-conscious if you driving your parent's old hand-me down luxury cars to school or social events? Most of my classmates seem to drive Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas? Do you get labeled as the "spoiled princess" or "douchebag" tag if you drive a nicer car than what most of your attendings drive?

I'm treating myself to a $50K SUV when I finally get into med school after a 10 year road - hope that I get looks - if you can afford to, let your car make a statement for you. Also, it's kinda fun when people want to cruise with you. Just don't flaunt your key-fob around and you'll be fine.

How much should one spend on a car that will serve you for 4 years? ~35000 too much?

If you are just going to keep the car for 4 years, it typically makes more sense to lease. Rule of thumb is to buy used (and ideally run it to the ground) or lease new.

Noone really cares what you drive. Don't make a big deal out of it, and noone else will. You might get compliments, but that's about it.