self-injurious behavior and emotional regulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elphaba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting, that's sort of my area, only I'm interested in mindfulness and emotion regulation, including BPD and DBT topics. :D Good thing you're not applying right now, or we'd be competing for schools! You wouldn't consider working with Dr. Linehan? She is seriously one of the top in the field of emotion regulation.

Given your interests, I think that University of North Dakota (I'm thinking you're interested in the same person I'm thinking of) would be great for you.

Warning about University of Georgia--if you're interested in Dr. Fischer, she isn't currently doing any mindfulness-related projects, or so she told me when I spoke to her at a conference.

Anyway, Anthony Ahrens at American University does work in fear of emotion, which is very related. Clara Cheng at the same school also does work in emotion regulation. Right now Timothy Trull at the University of Missouri Columbia is looking at experiential avoidance, though his project involves DBT so that might no interest you.

Finally, there's a professor at UW Madison who looks at emotion and its regulation from a more neurological perspective. That could be a good option, possibly.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Aww, I always like making friends :D You're welcome!

Glad that I was able to help! I'm also in the cold, but I love what I've read about UND, and I met some students in the program who told me about how fantastic it is and everything.

Good luck to you as well!