Self-Study MCAT ... a few questions before I begin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to take the MCAT this next September, before the change to the 2015 MCAT. A few questions:

1) I'm okay taking it in September, right? I'm a sophomore right now.
2) What guides should I use to help me study? I found SN2's massive study guide, but I wanted to make sure this was the one I should trust. Just judging from its attention, I would assume that most people would recommend it?
3) Anyone recommend some alternative resources to supplement a traditional 'book' method of learning the material (e.g., blogs, videos, audio). I enjoy learning via that method more.

Also, I noticed that SN2's guide was basically interspersing the various sciences (i.e., bio one day, physics another, etc.) ... I would prefer to learn one thing at a time, but is that a bad idea because of the large time gap after learning one 'fully?'

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say switch between subjects by day just to get use to changing from one mind set to another

1) Personal, I think most schools will accept the older (current) version of the MCAT for a few years but it is really up in the area. But I personally think you will be fine because half of your junior is the current version of MCAT and half is the newer MCAT. It might just better to have the newer MCAT under your belt.

2) It seems SN2's guide seems to work for the majority. I haven't tried it. I am going to try it next week! But at the moment I have my own study "guide". Do whatever works best for you. I usually switch between subjects each day and cycle. I think this is important so you don't get a false sense of knowing the material; which might happen if you just study one subject for a week straight.

3) Youtube videos are helpful with topics and of course SDN is a great source for specific questions. GL