Self study or take class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dox4lyfe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so a lot of people are saying to take a physio course (especially if you want to score high on the mcat) because it helps a lot. However, I feel like the physio course at my undergrad goes into wayy more detail than I'll ever need for the mcat. Could I still do really well on the physio related questions on the mcat if I self studied or should I just take the class.

Members don't see this ad.

OK so a lot of people are saying to take a physio course (especially if you want to score high on the mcat) because it helps a lot. However, I feel like the physio course at my undergrad goes into wayy more detail than I'll ever need for the mcat. Could I still do really well on the physio related questions on the mcat if I self studied or should I just take the class.

Take the class.

It's a critical topic for the MCAT, and unless you're one of the select few who can truly study efficiently at this point in the game (undergrad), having a faculty member guide you will lay a solid foundation once MCAT review comes around.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to have to disagree here, I really think that the depth of physiology covered on MCAT is covered well enough by most general bio.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to have to disagree here, I really think that the depth of physiology covered on MCAT is covered well enough by most general bio.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My gen bio class only covered cell bio, genetics, immuno and molecular bio. If I self study, I'd have to do it while also self studying physics 2 in July/August.

If I take the course, I'll be taking it over the same semester that I'll be prepping for the mcat, while also taking two other upper level science courses. (For reference, I'm planning on taking the January mcat. I'll have the rest of the summer, fall semester and winter break.)

Any help on what I should do is greatly appreciated!

I didn't feel that physio was critical in the way that biochemistry is. I felt the prep books and Khan covered the test.

My gen bio class only covered cell bio, genetics, immuno and molecular bio. If I self study, I'd have to do it while also self studying physics 2 in July/August.

If I take the course, I'll be taking it over the same semester that I'll be prepping for the mcat, while also taking two other upper level science courses. (For reference, I'm planning on taking the January mcat. I'll have the rest of the summer, fall semester and winter break.)
Don't do it. I had never taken a physio course and didn't know anything about anatomy/physiology. Bought an MCAT review book and just learned it on my own. It's definitely doable and saves more time/money.

Any help on what I should do is greatly appreciated!

Huh Idk why my last comment ended up weird. Anyway: don't do it. I had never taken a physio course and didn't know anything about anatomy/physiology. Bought an MCAT review book and just learned it on my own. It's definitely doable and saves more time/money.

Take the class. Being overly educated about any topic of the MCAT won't hurt you. It only gives you more mental connections to work with to come to the right conclusions.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt that biochem reviewing was much more important than physio. However, I do remember a bunch of kidney questions on my mcat that wove the physio into the stem - very annoying distractors.

Definitely self study. I did not take physiology pre-MCAT and still did fine. I personally would rather limit the number of premed courses I take in undergrad in lieu of other classes I might never have the chance to take again.