self-study over the summer? take MCAT in jan/may? help out this newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swineflu

ima own ma mdog
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't want to waste my money on MCAT prep courses... So I am going to self-study during this summer using the following books:

the berkely review (all of them), TPR MCAT book, NOVA physics, and all the examcrakers.

I am taking upper bio classes in the fall 09, such as systems physiology, biochem and genetics. I hope this will help me with the BS section.

During the winter break, I am going to do AAMC practice tests and more review.

In the spring, I will take more advanced bio classes like cell bio and upper genetics.

My questions:

Is my study plan good enough? Or, should I take TPR prep course during the spring and take MCAT in may?

Or, should I just take january test..?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, dude, this is like the identical situation as me. I'm also starting my review, and have those exact same books (except TPR), plus also planning for the January MCAT.. creepy :laugh:

Keep me updated. So far, I've realized that it really does take a lot of self-determination to study on your own effectively, especially in the early going when everything is pretty frustrating.

Last edited:
cool but it depends on how I do on the practice tests. If I am not getting 32+, I am probably gonna take princeton review prep course and take MCAT in may.

yeah, it does take a lot of will power.... good luck!

Good idea. Study yourself. Don't take a class. My class had about 12 students in it. We met 2-3 times each week for about 2 months. By the end of the 2 months, only like 4 of the students even bothered showing up for the classes.

You can buy all the material separately on your own. The teacher's are pretty good since they must have scored in the 90th percentile in that certain section to teach that section (or maybe a little higher or lower than that or whatever depending on the company), but they don't know anything that you can't teach yourself on your own.