Self study vs Continuing to use crappy MS1 lecture materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunkyFrog994

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wrapping up my first semester of med school and I'm starting to think about how I approach the rest of the pre-clinical portion of our education. Now I'm gonna go ahead and preface this by saying I am in no way struggling with the course work, however I'm getting very annoyed with the way in which I am being taught and honestly feel as though I haven't learned anything. Today I decided to start self-teaching myself using STEP 1 prep books (Kaplan) and boards and beyond and it was an eye opening experience in that I actually enjoyed learning for the first time since I started MS1. My question ultimately boils down to if it is a bad idea for me to follow along with my course syllabus objectives using Kaplan and B&B in place of my medical school's materials. I imagine it could have somewhat of a negative impact on my grades, but I think I'll be much happier learning this way instead of forcing myself to use my school's horrendous course materials.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the club. This is how you "don't let medical school get in the way of your education"

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh yes, welcome! Have a seat at our table, here we have Sketchy, B&B, and Pathoma on the menu. Can I offer you a glass of First Aid while you decide?

The sooner you can start using third party materials, the better. And honestly you grades might improve if anything.

Reactions: 4 users
32CC12AF-B44E-4EC0-8483-1C1EE84C4766.jpeg

this is the way.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys just wrapping up my first semester of med school and I'm starting to think about how I approach the rest of the pre-clinical portion of our education. Now I'm gonna go ahead and preface this by saying I am in no way struggling with the course work, however I'm getting very annoyed with the way in which I am being taught and honestly feel as though I haven't learned anything. Today I decided to start self-teaching myself using STEP 1 prep books (Kaplan) and boards and beyond and it was an eye opening experience in that I actually enjoyed learning for the first time since I started MS1. My question ultimately boils down to if it is a bad idea for me to follow along with my course syllabus objectives using Kaplan and B&B in place of my medical school's materials. I imagine it could have somewhat of a negative impact on my grades, but I think I'll be much happier learning this way instead of forcing myself to use my school's horrendous course materials.

Yes to third party materials. No to completely abandoning your school's curriculum. This is one day, you will get tired of Kaplan just like you got tired of your course notes. Wake up early and start with the commercial board prep and then tune into your lectures. It sets the ground work/context for your course notes which is where some of your professors fall short. Also, your school is not dumb. Course directors are given NBME practice questions and asked to set their lecture objectives off the NBME. You will miss things if you just focus on the third party materials.

Also, not sure when Kaplan was ever relevant. Unless things have changed, it's First Aid, UWorld, Pathoma, the Sketchy Series. If your school is stuck in the 1900s doing normal function in M1 then go with Boards and Beyond, First Aid Lectures...I have no idea about Physeo/Lecturio...those came after my time.

Reactions: 1 user
I watch the schools lectures on 1.75 speed, get what I need then hit B&B, pathoma, sketchy and anki (lightyear deck) with the amboss add-on (which is flipping amazing). I've noticed my grades take a bit of a hit when I ignore the school's curriculum full blast so I try to skim over the slides. It's far and away a more efficient strategy.

How are you doing in your classes? If well, don't change a thing.

Feeling like you haven't learned anything seems to be a requirement for a medical student. Have some faith in yourself.

Feeling like you haven't learned anything seems to be a requirement for a medical student. Have some faith in yourself.

Good to know, because I have to reteach myself some stuff every time it comes up in a new block (lookin at you autonomics), while other things come back very quickly. I’m just hanging on and hoping it all sticks eventually.

How are you doing in your classes? If well, don't change a thing.

Thanks! I'm usually a couple points above the average. I suppose I don't really have any reason to be complaining. Listened to lectures at double speed today and forced myself not to pause then used the time I saved to hit B&B. I'll probably try doing this next semester so I don't totally ignore the curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey fellow premed (hopeful soon med student)- I was curious on this too as in- do you as a med student focus more on secondary sources as listed above or gauge the med school curricula to see how helpful it may be and supplement secondary resources as you go through topics? For example, if the current block is cardiopulm, would it be wise to supplement lecture from school with B&B and first aid and pathoma and others for that SPECIFIC block? Sorry if this is an obvious answer to you guys, I am starting to jump on a train that you guys have long boarded and your wisdom will be helpful :) thanks!

Hey fellow premed (hopeful soon med student)- I was curious on this too as in- do you as a med student focus more on secondary sources as listed above or gauge the med school curricula to see how helpful it may be and supplement secondary resources as you go through topics? For example, if the current block is cardiopulm, would it be wise to supplement lecture from school with B&B and first aid and pathoma and others for that SPECIFIC block? Sorry if this is an obvious answer to you guys, I am starting to jump on a train that you guys have long boarded and your wisdom will be helpful :) thanks!

It’s very school specific. Some schools have standardized exams and you can solely use board resources and do well, some schools have professor written exams and so you’ll need to at the minimum look at the slides presented, and at the maximum study mostly school materials and supplement with secondary resources.

My advice would be use your school materials to start with, then if you’re doing well, add in more resources. If your school does standardized exams, it will depend on whether your professor prepared materials are good or not.

It’s very school specific. Some schools have standardized exams and you can solely use board resources and do well, some schools have professor written exams and so you’ll need to at the minimum look at the slides presented, and at the maximum study mostly school materials and supplement with secondary resources.

My advice would be use your school materials to start with, then if you’re doing well, add in more resources. If your school does standardized exams, it will depend on whether your professor prepared materials are good or not.
Thank you for this! I am sure I will ask more questions when school starts but for now, thank you!

Zanki and UWorld are the best teachers. As an M1 just stick to the Zanki physiology if you're not doing path yet.

AcTiVe LeArNiNg

Ultimately, even if it misses some minutia, by the end of Zanki you will know by heart: what transporters are where in the kidney, what hormones get converted to what hormones by what enzymes, all the preload frank starling bull****, and all that high-yield info that is most DEFINITELY going to be on any organ system exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users