Self-teaching: hear me out

• Thread starter Deleted member 737595
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 737595

Hi all,

This may sound over-ambitious but please keep an open mind. I am seriously considering taking the MCAT on June 30, 2018. I really need some advice FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN IT AND HAVE SCORED WELL, or who coach those who do. @BerkReviewTeach let me know what you think also, since I would like to use BR materials to self teach.

Here are the pre-requisites that I have already taken:

-Gen Chem I and II
-Orgo I (NOT II)
-Physics I and II
-Bio I and II
-Psychology and Sociology

Pre-reqs not done yet:
-Orgo II
-Biochem
-(Genetics and Molecular Bio???)

So, two important classes that I have not taken yet. However, I am currently doing a full-time internship, 9 - 5 pm every day 5 days a week 40 hours a week, you get the idea. I will be starting classes in late Summer and Fall and applying 2019, obviously. I have the week before the exam completely free to study full time or take two or three exams or review more.

I have lots of steam to burn after work when I get home to my family (yes, I live with parents), and I find myself restless and with a lot of time. At minimum, I have 10 hours during the week and every Sat. or Sun. is mostly free. I am a very quick learner relative to my other pre-med friends and academically pretty confident in most of the pre-reqs. I can learn on my own.

Would it sound feasible to take on The Berkeley Review and AAMC materials for the next 4.5 months, first teaching myself the relevant Orgo 2 and Biochem 2 for the first month or month and a half while doing a little of everything else and then doing general review for the next two months, with FLs along the way, keeping and Holy schedule (no excuses for my study days)?

I scored a 2270 on the SAT (I know, they are not the same) with only 3 weeks of studying the SAT book from college board and am generally a good test taker. Also, I loved all of my pre-medical courses and am generally a "I love learning, i love school" kind of nerd.

My plan now is to trying learning most of the Biochem and Orgo 2 and take an FL to see how I do, and if its reasonable, to continue full on. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

So you would be applying for matriculation in 2020, correct? And submitting your application in June 2019?

If that's correct, why not just take the MCAT in December or next May, after you've taken all the pre-reqs? Why do you want to take it so early?

Reactions: 1 user
This is all just a very bad idea:
  • Biochemistry is KEY to the MCAT
  • It takes ~300 hours of studying for most people to succeed on the MCAT. It's actually suggested that you don't study in the last week before your test due to burn out
I'm the same type of person as you (based on your description) but you don't just walk into the MCAT. It takes much more to succeed than the SAT, ACT, or any college class.

So you would be applying for matriculation in 2020, correct? And submitting your application in June 2019?

If that's correct, why not just take the MCAT in December or next May, after you've taken all the pre-reqs? Why do you want to take it so early?
That's right. I want to take it early so that I don't have to worry about it when focusing on other parts of my application. I have lots of extra time now without classes and not much I can do. I can't really do my personal statement or secondaries since it wouldn't be relevant a year from now.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's right. I want to take it early so that I don't have to worry about it when focusing on other parts of my application. I have lots of extra time now without classes and not much I can do. I can't really do my personal statement or secondaries since it wouldn't be relevant a year from now.
Far and away the most important parts of an app are mcat and gpa.....you don’t risk them for anything else

Reactions: 4 users

What you're planning to do can be done, but to me it seems risky and unnecessary. I'm a strong proponent of do it once, do it right when it comes to the MCAT.
I would spend your free time volunteering instead. Or just enjoy your free time, spend time with your family.

Reactions: 1 users
This is all just a very bad idea:
  • Biochemistry is KEY to the MCAT
  • It takes ~300 hours of studying for most people to succeed on the MCAT. It's actually suggested that you don't study in the last week before your test due to burn out
I'm the same type of person as you (based on your description) but you don't just walk into the MCAT. It takes much more to succeed than the SAT, ACT, or any college class.
What is burn out? I'm not trying to be facetious, I have heard about burn out before, but was is it in this case?

Also I will have around 300 or more hours with my hours above if taking FLs counts as studying. If I take even just 10 FL that's around 70 - 80 hours alone. 200 hours with my minimum of 10 hours a week on week nights.

I understand what you're saying, but my plan is not 'walk into the MCAT.' It's to make it my main hobby/side hustle for the next 4 and a half months.

What is burn out? I'm not trying to be facetious, I have heard about burn out before, but was is it in this case?

Also I will have around 300 or more hours with my hours above if taking FLs counts as studying. If I take even just 10 FL that's around 70 - 80 hours alone. 200 hours with my minimum of 10 hours a week on week nights.

I understand what you're saying, but my plan is not 'walk into the MCAT.' It's to make it my main hobby/side hustle for the next 4 and a half months.

"Burn out" refers to the idea that the MCAT is a very long exam, and so taking 3 full lengths in a week is exhausting. I'm not sure how far into studying you've gotten yet, but after one exam you feel like you just want to sleep for a day. So you're advised to take that last week before your test to rest up, carboload, get your sleep cycle synced, and go into test day feeling rested (if you can't tell I work for a test prep company).

And yes you seem to have the time. But that time doesn't including learning Orgo/Biochem from scratch, as MCAT prep is generally a content review for most people, and then far more learning how to take the exam.

This is all under the assumption that you can keep up that 10 hrs/wk going for 20+ weeks, no exceptions or emergencies. And there is also the assumption that you can perform/study in a consistent quality for those 200+ hours. Typically, nobody does that because of burn out. Try imagine eating ramen (same flavor) for every single meal 3 times a day for 20 days straight.

Also some people make absolutely no plans beside studying 10+ hrs a day every day in the summer for 3-4 months before taking it and you are planning to make it a "side hustle"? Well I guess you do you but you have to shoulder the consequences.

This is all under the assumption that you can keep up that 10 hrs/wk going for 20+ weeks, no exceptions or emergencies. And there is also the assumption that you can perform/study in a consistent quality for those 200+ hours. Typically, nobody does that because of burn out. Try imagine eating ramen (same flavor) for every single meal 3 times a day for 20 days straight.

Also some people make absolutely no plans beside studying 10+ hrs a day every day in the summer for 3-4 months before taking it and you are planning to make it a "side hustle"? Well I guess you do you but you have to shoulder the consequences.
How long did you study for it? What did you study look like in terms of scheduling?

How long did you study for it? What did you study look like in terms of scheduling?

I had a course under Kaplan with their schedule spanning over 4 to 5 months. Average I spent about 20 hrs / week counting weekends, on top my 9-to-5 job.

I had a course under Kaplan with their schedule spanning over 4 to 5 months. Average I spent about 20 hrs / week counting weekends, on top my 9-to-5 job.
Well, there you go, that's about the same sort of deal of what I want to do! The only difference is I don't have Biochem down yet. I will have to really research this before I go into it. If I do lean towards doing it, I will learn the basics of Biochemistry to be able to take a diagnostic and then go from there.

I say go for it! I took the MCAT in April two years ago before I took any biochem and during ochem 2 and ended up with a balanced 512.
If you attack it with a consistent plan, and measure yourself with diagnostics, you should know where you're at before you decide to actually take the test anyways.
The biochem on the test is relatively basic and can be self-taught through the review books, in my experience (I used Kaplan).

I got both the Kaplan and The Berkeley review. I ended up only using Berkeley for CARS and Kaplan for Psych. I did about half the Berkeley CARS book and read through the whole Kaplan Psych book (in like 2 months). I ended up not touching the other books. I have taken all the pre-req except physics. I never went to Orgo or Biochem classes, I just showed up for exam and memorized the answers from practice test they gave (~90% same). So essentially, I had whatever physics and chem I had from high school, and biochem I picked up from adv bio.

I also bought 6 practice test from NextStep and all the AAMC practice test/question bank. Granted I should have started earlier but two weeks before my MCAT, I went through 5 NextStep FL and all the AAMC FL exams and Qbanks, and reviewed answers very carefully. I saved AAMC for last because they resembled the exam the most and got 512. My NextStep scores were around 508-510. I ended up with 514 (128/130/129/127).

What I found most helpful is my research background. Because I read research papers on a regular basis, the format of the MCAT and a lot of the experiment based passages, I am quite familiar with. I also have a lot of experience with standardized/multiple choice exams (I tutor them), so my CARS score was already fine. Bio I was fine on given I have taken all the advanced courses. Research background and practice helped with chem and physics, memorized a lot of formula and physical science problem solving techniques. Psych was my lowest score, because I have no interest in it and all the theory honestly made no sense whatsoever to me.

Retrospectively, I would’ve gotten 10 NextStep exams and finished them in a month on top of AAMC to pull myself into 518+ range. There were definitely lost opportunities this cycle because of my score. No shot at Top5, but made it into Top10 nonetheless

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got both the Kaplan and The Berkeley review. I ended up only using Berkeley for CARS and Kaplan for Psych. I did about half the Berkeley CARS book and read through the whole Kaplan Psych book (in like 2 months). I ended up not touching the other books. I have taken all the pre-req except physics. I never went to Orgo or Biochem classes, I just showed up for exam and memorized the answers from practice test they gave (~90% same). So essentially, I had whatever physics and chem I had from high school, and biochem I picked up from adv bio.

I also bought 6 practice test from NextStep and all the AAMC practice test/question bank. Granted I should have started earlier but two weeks before my MCAT, I went through 5 NextStep FL and all the AAMC FL exams and Qbanks, and reviewed answers very carefully. I saved AAMC for last because they resembled the exam the most and got 512. My NextStep scores were around 508-510. I ended up with 514 (128/130/129/127).

What I found most helpful is my research background. Because I read research papers on a regular basis, the format of the MCAT and a lot of the experiment based passages, I am quite familiar with. I also have a lot of experience with standardized/multiple choice exams (I tutor them), so my CARS score was already fine. Bio I was fine on given I have taken all the advanced courses. Research background and practice helped with chem and physics, memorized a lot of formula and techniques. Psych was my lowest score, because I have no interest in it and all the theory honest made no sense whatsoever to me.
So I am actually doing research in drug discover full-time and have to read literature practically every day. I am way ahead in terms of lab techniques looking at the syllabus of my future classes. I am learning a lot at my job, and basically getting paid to learn! Do you think this sort of edge would help me in my studying?

So I am actually doing research in drug discover full-time and have to read literature practically every day. I am way ahead in terms of lab techniques looking at the syllabus of my future classes. I am learning a lot at my job, and basically getting paid to learn! Do you think this sort of edge would help me in my studying?

I was full time student and had 3 side jobs plus 20+hr in lab every week. I did all of those things in the 2 months when I went through the Berkeley CARS and Kaplan Psych. A couple of hours every other day essentially. The two weeks before my exam, I essentially stopped everything (all side jobs and lab, only went to lab class which are mandatory). I think everyone learns differently. I learn the best just doing practice exams and reviewing the answers, piecing together the important/high yield information, it’s the most efficient way for me. Also personally, I think the MCAT is more about logical reasoning and picking good choices than knowing all the details of the Kreb cycle.

Techniques is not what is important but how you interpret results from these experiements.

I was full time student and had 3 side jobs plus 20+hr in lab every week. I did all of those things in the 2 months when I went through the Berkeley CARS and Kaplan Psych. A couple of hours every other day essentially. The two weeks before my exam, I essentially stopped everything (all side jobs and lab, only went to lab class which are mandatory). I think everyone learns differently. I learn the best just doing practice exams and reviewing the answers, piecing together the important/high yield information, it’s the most efficient way for me. Also personally, I think the MCAT is more about logical reasoning and picking good choices than knowing all the details of the Kreb cycle.
See that gives me hope, since I am planning to spend twice the amount of time to cover material I have not fully learned yet and also taking lots of FL's.

I think I 'm going to learn the essentials for Biochem and take a diagnostic in two weeks.

Trying to teach yourself things is a pretty poor strategy. You need to go through the associated courses at a university level to get a good enough grasp of the material. Even then it may still not be enough. I tried to take a short cut by not taking the second term of biology until after the MCAT and I believe this was a big mistake. Also, do not think that your SAT score will do anything for you on this exam. I scored higher than you did and I was barely able to break a 30 even on my best attempt.

Also techniques are not as important as knowing how to interpret results. Or the next step after getting results. Or even how to design an experiment.

I figured if I did 8+ exams, statistically I would theoretically encountered 90%+ of question types and 99.9% of topics of material I need to know. The KEY to all of this is to review the exams extremely carefully. Learned the information that you need to know to get the question correct. Essentially, I only studied the information on the questions I get wrong. I think it’s more efficient than trying to learn everything. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to learn all these things and a lot can be low-yield, plus you have to practice logical reasoning, this seems backward to me. Just makes more sense to me to study by learning information on things you get wrong. Also review ones you get right and make sure your concepts is right.
See that gives me hope, since I am planning to spend twice the amount of time to cover material I have not fully learned yet and also taking lots of FL's.

I think I 'm going to learn the essentials for Biochem and take a diagnostic in two weeks.

Trying to teach yourself things is a pretty poor strategy. You need to go through the associated courses at a university level to get a good enough grasp of the material. Even then it may still not be enough. I tried to take a short cut by not taking the second term of biology until after the MCAT and I believe this was a big mistake. Also, do not think that your SAT score will do anything for you on this exam. I scored higher than you did and I was barely able to break a 30 even on my best attempt.
There is no way I am willing to accept that to get a good grasp of anything I need to pay $5000 through the nose to take an 'accredited university level course.' Almost anything can be learned by oneself, except for perhaps musical instrument technique or athletics.

Biochemistry is 25% of the Bio section of the MCAT. Gen Bio, which you talk about, is 65% of that section, so there is a difference there.

I never said the SAT would do anything for me, I was indicating the my test taking skills are decent to see if that mattered.

There is no way I am willing to accept that to get a good grasp of anything I need to pay $5000 through the nose to take an 'accredited university level course.' Almost anything can be learned by oneself, except for perhaps musical instrument technique or athletics.

Biochemistry is 25% of the Bio section of the MCAT. Gen Bio, which you talk about, is 65% of that section, so there is a difference there.

I never said the SAT would do anything for me, I was indicating the my test taking skills are decent to see if that mattered.

Something you should understand about SDN is that we can't tell you what to do. We can only advise you on the tried and true best methods that lead to the greatest amount of success. I think many of us will agree that your proposal sounds short-sighted, and without a good grasp of what the MCAT entails. That being said, you need to do what feels best for you, and then accept what happens.

Also, I would like to mention that your strategy could depend on the score range you are shooting for. So that is something to consider as well. There was a success story above from someone who scored a 511 I believe. If that's a score you are happy with then perhaps you can muster it.

Why even bother to take the MCAT and go to medical school since you can just teach yourself how to practice medicine?

Seriously though, there is a reason why a prerequisite class is required to apply to medical school. Even if may not seem apparent at first, you learn a lot more through the resources available at a university than you could ever learn on your own. You can of course take the MCAT at your own discretion at any time you want, but I think it is foolish to do so at this time. Why would you want to do something that could potentially put you at a disadvantage on a very high-stakes, competitive exam?

Why even bother to take the MCAT and go to medical school since you can just teach yourself how to practice medicine?

Seriously though, there is a reason why a prerequisite class is required to apply to medical school. Even if may not seem apparent at first, you learn a lot more through the resources available at a university than you could ever learn on your own. You can of course take the MCAT at your own discretion at any time you want, but I think it is foolish to do so at this time. Why would you want to do something that could potentially put you at a disadvantage on a very high-stakes, competitive exam?
I still disagree with you. The reason we take the classes is because they are accredited and a verification that we actually know the material. That's why the MCAT exists; to level out any discrepancies in GPA due to inflation/deflation or your own hiccups. True, lab skills can only be learned at the lab, but lectures? Many of the lecturers I have had have been nothing but a waste of time, with only a few that actually make it worth it to go to class.

It's called credentialism, if you learned about Sociology for the MCAT or if you ever took a Sociology course you probably heard of it: credentials are what our society uses to assess whether someone really has the knowledge or skill to do something. And it's actually a good thing usually.

I still disagree with you. The reason we take the classes is because they are accredited and a verification that we actually know the material. That's why the MCAT exists; to level out any discrepancies in GPA due to inflation/deflation or your own hiccups. True, lab skills can only be learned at the lab, but lectures? Many of the lecturers I have had have been nothing but a waste of time, with only a few that actually make it worth it to go to class.

It's called credentialism, if you learned about Sociology for the MCAT or if you ever took a Sociology course you probably heard of it: credentials are what our society uses to assess whether someone really has the knowledge or skill to do something. And it's actually a good thing usually.

You obviously just want someone to tell you what you want to hear. So why are you here, asking for advice?

I did fine without. PM for more detail if you need.

Last edited:
Something you should understand about SDN is that we can't tell you what to do. We can only advise you on the tried and true best methods that lead to the greatest amount of success. I think many of us will agree that your proposal sounds short-sighted, and without a good grasp of what the MCAT entails. That being said, you need to do what feels best for you, and then accept what happens.

Also, I would like to mention that your strategy could depend on the score range you are shooting for. So that is something to consider as well. There was a success story above from someone who scored a 511 I believe. If that's a score you are happy with then perhaps you can muster it.
His proposal sounds fine. People study differently. I study better learning from a book. I don't go to class unless its mandatory.

Just want to point out that significant portion of med students don't go to class during pre-clincal years unless it is clinical skill sets.

I used to have this sort of stance as well. Subsequently I have compiled an application that has been deemed not strong enough to gain acceptance anywhere. Multiple users here have pointed to my numerous MCAT attempts as part of the reason (which may be explained by the fact that I was not as well prepared as I could have been during my first two attempts). Just trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes I have.

You obviously just want someone to tell you what you want to hear. So why are you here, asking for advice?
I want to hear, like I said in OP, from PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN IT AND HAVE SCORED WELL, which is also capitalized in the top, not to hear what potential sob story mine will be, about 'burn out' et al from people who don't tell me what they got or that they even did something similar to me or know of anyone who has.

I used to have this sort of stance as well. Subsequently I have compiled an application that has been deemed not strong enough to gain acceptance anywhere. Multiple users here have pointed to my numerous MCAT attempts as part of the reason (which may be explained by the fact that I was not as well prepared as I could have been during my first two attempts). Just trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes I have.
Thanks, actually even though we are disagreeing on some things, this is a great discussion to have and I think there are merits to both approaches. Either way, hearing your side is very important and what I was looking for since you did something similar. So thank you, I will take what you say into account. I just like to play Devil's Advocate to further the convo

@premstudent I have taken it and scored well. However, I had all the pre-reqs except soc and psych. The MCAT is primarily a reading test, therefore if you're a good, quick reader you should score well.

That said, it will be easier if you take biochem first. I think what people are saying is, why make things harder than necessary?

I want to hear, like I said in OP, from PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN IT AND HAVE SCORED WELL, which is also capitalized in the top, not to hear what potential sob story mine will be, about 'burn out' et al from people who don't tell me what they got or that they even did something similar to me or know of anyone who has.

Look at my LizzyM. You'll see I did quite well.

@premstudent I have taken it and scored well. However, I had all the pre-reqs except soc and psych. The MCAT is primarily a reading test, therefore if you're a good, quick reader you should score well.

That said, it will be easier if you take biochem first. I think what people are saying is, why make things harder than necessary?
The idea was to get the MCAT out of the way so I can focus on everything else including personal statements, applying and all that jazz. But I'm going to talk to different people as well before I make my decision. How much of Biochem is actually needed, and why can't I learn it on my own, if I may ask?

Of course you can learn it yourself. But if biochem is a class you have to take anyway, why not wait until afterwards to write your MCAT? It would just make things easier.
If it's important to you to take the MCAT soon, then that's a consideration - I guess I'm just not seeing why it's important.

OP, why don't you take a serious FL see how you do without reviewing. If your physics and orgo 1 and bio and gen chem are excellent and its only biochem and orgo 2 then you can continue your argument. If you still need to review those in addition to teaching yourself biochem and orgo 2 from scratch, no way.

Take Biochem. Org II isn't really necessary, I had maybe 1 or 2 concepts on my exam that I learned in org 2. The biggest aid to my success on the exam was practice. My two cents is take biochem and then do at least 5+ full length practice exams. Minimum. Go through the answers and WHY you missed questions. Identify which questions you miss because of content and which you miss due to reasoning, reading charts/graphs, etc.

I can offer my perspective:

I took all the prerequisites first but there was almost two years between my MCAT and biochem. All of my studying was independent with nothing but Kaplan books and AAMC full lengths. I studied about 3 months 3 days a week and scored well, while working full time.

It’s doable, you have most of the prerequisites, but it’s tough and probably more risk than you should take considering you have time to take it after you’ve had all the classes.

I can offer my perspective:

I took all the prerequisites first but there was almost two years between my MCAT and biochem. All of my studying was independent with nothing but Kaplan books and AAMC full lengths. I studied about 3 months 3 days a week and scored well, while working full time.

It’s doable, you have most of the prerequisites, but it’s tough and probably more risk than you should take considering you have time to take it after you’ve had all the classes.
What I am thinking of doing is taking the summer off and take the MCAT at the end of the summer like August 31, which will give me two months full time for just MCAT prep while continuing my EC's. This is completely different from my plan outlined up and will give me a lot more time.

like @Kr#36 said, I guess orgo II isn't as important as biochem so why don't you take biochem over the summer (my school offers it in 6 weeks over the summer) then take the MCAT, if its because you would rather only focus on the MCAT during that time, biochem is literally the most important single class so: every minute you study biochem, you're studying for the MCAT ;)

like @Kr#36 said, I guess orgo II isn't as important as biochem so why don't you take biochem over the summer (my school offers it in 6 weeks over the summer) then take the MCAT, if its because you would rather only focus on the MCAT during that time, biochem is literally the most important single class so: every minute you study biochem, you're studying for the MCAT ;)
No. It’s not. I can’t tell if this is sarcasm. I hope it is.

Useless to me.. give an explanation. What a waste
Dude the MCAT is so much biochem, you'll be at a severe disadvantage. Go ahead teach yourself but I found Biochem helped me immensely both in the C/p section and B/B section (A in biochem at my top 20 LAC). Basically shooting yourself in the foot, like why wouldn't you take it in Jan 2019 and just take Biochem in the fall? Biochem >>>>>>>>> Orgo II. Good enough explanation? I thought my previous post was succinct enough bra

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dude the MCAT is so much biochem, you'll be at a severe disadvantage. Go ahead teach yourself but I found Biochem helped me immensely both in the C/p section and B/B section (A in biochem at my top 20 LAC). Basically shooting yourself in the foot, like why wouldn't you take it in Jan 2019 and just take Biochem in the fall? Biochem >>>>>>>>> Orgo II. Good enough explanation? I thought my previous post was succinct enough bra
At the end of the day, everyone is different and learns differently. You thought biochem was extremely important and class was helpful, I found that going in with essentially 0 orgo and biochem, I still managed to do well on MCAT by learning topics of questions I did wrong on practice exams. OP has to figure out the most efficient way for himself.

Why would I be at a disadvantage? Im still going to learn biochem, just on my own instead of a class, and im taking action early to compensate. You dont think i can learn it on my own?

You obviously want us to say “yes, don’t take biochem” but the consensus is you probably shouldn’t try to self study it.

There’s no need to be rude to people who are trying to help you.

You obviously want us to say “yes, don’t take biochem” but the consensus is you probably shouldn’t try to self study it.

There’s no need to be rude to people who are trying to help you.
There’s success stories from both sides, I don’t think taking the class is necessarily consensus. We can offer advice but we shouldn’t be offended if OP don’t choose our opinion. He’s not doing something outrageous wrong.

Why would I be at a disadvantage? Im still going to learn biochem, just on my own instead of a class, and im taking action early to compensate. You dont think i can learn it on my own?
Ok learn it yourself then? As long as you cover everything you should be fine.

Useless to me.. give an explanation. What a waste

Dude you’ve had countless people tell you to take biochem. Either take the advice or dont. However, If you just came here to have people confirm the decision you already made, then you’re wasting your time because the decision you’ve made is a dumb one.

Dude you’ve had countless people tell you to take biochem. Either take the advice or dont. However, If you just came here to have people confirm the decision you already made, then you’re wasting your time because the decision you’ve made is a dumb one.
Great, we'll see in 6 months. I'll come back to tell you all how I did! Even if I did badly...

Either way, thanks for the advice, feedback and all the other responses.

Self teaching is a great way to go if you are organized and patient. Bear in mind that you will often be self-teaching topics once you get into a graduate program.