Self-teaching Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHCOFTAD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here.

I have just finished the first semester of my sophomore year, and I initially wanted to write the MCAT at the end of this coming summer. I have, up until this point, taken the standard bio courses, physiology, genetics, ochem, and gen chems. However, due to poor planning, I have yet to take any physics courses and my physics knowledge is limited to high school physics (which I did well in but is fairly cloudy in my memory).

Would self-teaching physics suffice, and would it be too difficult to do while also studying for the MCAT? I will have no work or research obligations and I can focus all of my time on learning physics and studying for the MCAT. I pretty much self-taught myself organic chemistry and did very well in the course, although I'm not sure how difficult college-level physics is in comparison.

To clarify: I initially planned to take physics in my junior year, without considering the possibility of writing the test following my sophomore year. However, the consensus seems to be that writing the MCAT after sophomore year is overwhelmingly favourable, and ensures that the concepts relevant are still fresh in one's mind. In addition, I would like to avoid the newer MCAT, despite taking psych and socio courses already, as I don't look forward to reviewing more content - especially during the semester.

Excuse the long post and thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.