Semester Before D-School Starts And I'm Lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggietxdent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry but this is going to be *slightly* personal and has really nothing to do with dentistry.

Okay so it's my last semester of undergrad before I start dental school in the Fall but I'm just having a super rough start. I'm not even taking that many hours just Physics (need to graduate), A&P, and a Spanish course for fun which puts me just under "full time". I'm having a hard time being motivated/paying attention in class/keeping up with the readings not because it's too much, but because I just don't care anymore. I can't stand this stupid college town anymore and about 70% of my friends are either working, graduated, or busy. I need something to keep me occupied so I don't get depression.

I guess it's just weird to be in this purgatory state of acceptance to where GPA doesn't really matter (just need to pass physics) and I'm already accepted. Every single semester of school from 1st grade up until December 1st, there has always been a fire under my ass to do well in school to do well into the "next step" and now that fire is off. I just feel lost like a dog chasing a car and now I caught it and don't know what to do with it.

Any advice? Or just chat with me I'm super bored.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My fiancee and I had this drastic downfall after we got accepted as well. I can relate when you say the motivation is definitely not there anymore lol. Just know that once you're in dental school.... you'll miss undergrad a lot (at least I know I do). I would find new clubs and organizations that you haven't already discovered at A&M... I'm sure there are a lot. Have fun with your last semester because you'll miss it. Don't worry too much about getting straight A's... just have fun in those classes and don't fail.

Reactions: 2 users
Dont just sit around and drown in the boredom.
I was taking merely full time on my last semester in undergrad too and was having a lot of time. So I went hiking more. I take walk around campus and watch people. I learn a new instrument. I yelp random places and go eat. I volunteer. I offer to do mock interview for others who also applying...

Just go out of your way, and try new things!
And if you're that bored, follow me on snapchat to see me crying through head neck anatomy +pissed+

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest getting a job, maybe become a RDA so you can familiarize yourself with the instruments used. Help out with the pre-dental club, join a CrossFit (best decision ever), or go back to gaming - which is what I did!

Dont just sit around and drown in the boredom.

Just go out of your way, and try new things!
And if you're that bored, follow me on snapchat to see me crying through head neck anatomy +pissed+
My personal favorite thing to do when I'm bored :laugh:

I'd suggest getting a job, maybe become a RDA so you can familiarize yourself with the instruments used. Help out with the pre-dental club, join a CrossFit (best decision ever), or go back to gaming - which is what I did!
what do you play?

I play Mario kart, Mario world, animal crossing and such :p how do you have time as a DS1?
Sometimes I also play COD, halo3

Reactions: 1 user
I play Mario kart, Mario world, animal crossing and such :p how do you have time as a DS1?
Sometimes I also play COD, halo3
Ahh You should visit my town on animal crossing. It's pretty dope. Ehh you make time for fun in D-school. Studying all the time is no bueno.

Reactions: 2 users
OMFG <3 seriously you play animal crossing? On the DS? Or?

Omg what the heck, I swear I thought I was the only one! I used to play on game cube, when I was smaller. I think it's gonna be the perfect distraction for my first year of dental school :p

Omg what the heck, I swear I thought I was the only one! I used to play on game cube, when I was smaller. I think it's gonna be the perfect distraction for my first year of dental school :p
Recovering New Leaf addict here. Really hope they announce a new Animal Crossing for the Switch

I agree with @Advance
Find time to do things and enjoy life while you're in school. Studying all the time will stress you out more and you wont enjoy the dental school experience. I went out with my family and friend.
Heck, I even went out on a date before the test day, and I still passed the exam :clap:

Or if you prefer to stay in, you can snapchat @Advance and watch him go out instead :laugh:

Hey guys, sorry but this is going to be *slightly* personal and has really nothing to do with dentistry.

Okay so it's my last semester of undergrad before I start dental school in the Fall but I'm just having a super rough start. I'm not even taking that many hours just Physics (need to graduate), A&P, and a Spanish course for fun which puts me just under "full time". I'm having a hard time being motivated/paying attention in class/keeping up with the readings not because it's too much, but because I just don't care anymore. I can't stand this stupid college town anymore and about 70% of my friends are either working, graduated, or busy. I need something to keep me occupied so I don't get depression.

I guess it's just weird to be in this purgatory state of acceptance to where GPA doesn't really matter (just need to pass physics) and I'm already accepted. Every single semester of school from 1st grade up until December 1st, there has always been a fire under my ass to do well in school to do well into the "next step" and now that fire is off. I just feel lost like a dog chasing a car and now I caught it and don't know what to do with it.

Any advice? Or just chat with me I'm super bored.
I feel this for sure. I'm trying to put myself in the "study hard" mindset so that I'm ready to go for dental school, but at the same time, it's kind of tough to. I definitely want to get out of my college town too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated back in May, so I don't have the luxury of still being in school like you. I feel like my brain is turning into mush more and more as each day passes

August can't come fast enough

I graduated back in May, so I don't have the luxury of still being in school like you. I feel like my brain is turning into mush more and more as each day passes

August can't come fast enough
To me, not being in school would be a luxury at this point. It's been two weeks into the semester and I'm tired of it.

I'm sure you're ready to get going after all this time though.

To me, not being in school would be a luxury at this point. It's been two weeks into the semester and I'm tired of it.

I'm sure you're ready to get going after all this time though.

That's what I thought before, but I actually miss undergrad. The real world sucks

That's what I thought before, but I actually miss undergrad. The real world sucks
That's what I've heard from a lot of people. The real world is worse than college. Good thing we can postpone it with four years of dental school...

You know what I'd tell you to do! There's never a better time to learn more about "dentistry" then before dental school. Not the clinical or science side, but practice management and such. Working in a practice has also taught me more than any podcast or textbook has. I also love to browse the dentaltown active cases and read about the advanced implant cases and ortho treatment planning. It's great knowing which CE and certifications I'll want right out of school. Or you could join me skiing out here! Lol. I go 3 days a week pretty much . Find a hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry chiming in a little late but I'm going through the same thing right now!! I'm also a part-time student and am only taking histology, human cadaver dissection course, and a gen ed. I know my grades don't matter so I'm personally just trying to learn as much as I can from these classes to prepare myself for dental school in the fall. It's nice to just focus on the material instead of how to do well on the exam. Anatomy and physiology will definitely be very beneficial to you in dental school so try to learn as much as you can from that!! For physics though..... just do what you have to do. Also, I spend a lot of time watching Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would spend the last few months with close friends, because most likely they will be pursuing another career or going to a different dental school. You won't be able to physically meet them for a long time. RELAX and just "pass" your remaining classes before you matriculate.

Best thread I literally read all day! Just inspired me to make my own bucket list of things I want to try out this semester (as my senioritis worsens of course) before I start dental school in the fall as well lol

I'm rotting away being the laziest Potato on planet earth right now.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm enjoying life/an easy courseload while I'm trying to decide if I want to put myself in the large hole that is dental school debt...

Reactions: 3 users
Same.
But I enjoy knowing at least I'm done with applications as my friends just start theirs and I can breathe easier on that front.
Otherwise I agree with everyone. Make time to get your work done and get goodish grades but I'm enjoying my time before D-school!