Semester before starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protonate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I got accepted into med school recently and was wondering what things you guys would suggest I do before matriculating. I'm going straight from college so I'll have about 2 months of full break but was thinking to also enjoy life a little more this semester. I gained a ton of weight and got out of shape during college (at the expense of all the stuff I had to do in order to get into med school) and was hoping to basically workout a LOT this semester in order to get back in shape. What do you guys think? Also, any tips/workout routines that you recommend in order to get toned (NOT P90X or insanity)

Thanks

Edit: What are you guys in my similar situation (going straight) planning on doing your last semester of college since grades are not as crucial anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
So I got accepted into med school recently and was wondering what things you guys would suggest I do before matriculating. I'm going straight from college so I'll have about 2 months of full break but was thinking to also enjoy life a little more this semester. I gained a ton of weight and got out of shape during college (at the expense of all the stuff I had to do in order to get into med school) and was hoping to basically workout a LOT this semester in order to get back in shape. What do you guys think? Also, any tips/workout routines that you recommend in order to get toned (NOT P90X or insanity)

Thanks

Edit: What are you guys in my similar situation (going straight) planning on doing your last semester of college since grades are not as crucial anymore?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/

I would start here and find the appropriate workout based on your strength and time variables. I also plan on dropping a few pounds this summer (the admissions process definitely induces stress-eating). Spend time with your friends before you graduate because once you move to your new school you will mostly likely severely reduce contact with them. Go out partying, try new things, and meet new people. I'm also in my last semester and I plan on going skydiving before I matriculate! Also, get a fun job this summer too; I think I'm going to work as a camp counselor for kids with serious illnesses.

You don't want to slack off because bad grades can result in problems with acceptances. Most acceptances are conditional upon completion of current degree of study or something similar.

That being said, I suggest doing whatever you enjoy. Since you don't want to do p90x or insanity, how about crossfit? Or just run.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't want to slack off because bad grades can result in problems with acceptances. Most acceptances are conditional upon completion of current degree of study or something similar.

That being said, I suggest doing whatever you enjoy. Since you don't want to do p90x or insanity, how about crossfit? Or just run.

I will study also, don't get me wrong- (obtaining Latin honors will serve as motivation even if it really doesn't mean much). From what I heard, as long as you get nothing lower than a B, you should be fine. Am I wrong on this assumption?

I will study also, don't get me wrong- (obtaining Latin honors will serve as motivation even if it really doesn't mean much). From what I heard, as long as you get nothing lower than a B, you should be fine. Am I wrong on this assumption?

Not wrong. I'd say you could go as low as a B- without anyone batting an eyelash.

First off, Crossfit. You will have results like you've never seen before. Nothing tones better, utilizes cardio, and gets you ripped like Cfit. Feel free to AMA, I'm a believer.

As for me, the two months before I go to med school, I will be heading to Brazil for the World Cup. I'll be staying for the summer with a friend and we plan to hike South America and watch soccer. Talk about a little fun before the end.

I would start getting into an exercise routine and try to keep it up because as you'll see in a few years, the chunkiness increases throughout the first two yrs of med school. Then in third year (specially in surgery rotation) you'll loose 10-20lbs because...... you'll see why.

In the summer before starting med school I would run 6-7 miles/day. Ended up loosing 35 pounds before MS1. You can do it!

First off, Crossfit. You will have results like you've never seen before. Nothing tones better, utilizes cardio, and gets you ripped like Cfit. Feel free to AMA, I'm a believer.

As for me, the two months before I go to med school, I will be heading to Brazil for the World Cup. I'll be staying for the summer with a friend and we plan to hike South America and watch soccer. Talk about a little fun before the end.

holy hell that is the most epic pre med school trip. so frikin jelly. i guess i'll just have to make it onto the U.S. team if i wanna go. no big deal :laugh: