Semester GPA vs. Cumulative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does one semester GPA count in terms of the overall GPA? Say you had a 2.6 semester GPA one semester, but your overall GPA is around a 3.6. How does this look in terms of admission?

Members don't see this ad.

GPAs are broken down by Year in School (HS, FR, SO, JR, SR, GR) and not by individual semesters.

To answer your "how would it look" question: it would probably depend on what classes you got those below-average (for you) grades in. That having been said, you'll look worse than someone with the same cGPA but more consistent per-year GPAs.

That also having been said, it's a crapshoot, so who can say with any certainty?

GPAs are broken down by Year in School (HS, FR, SO, JR, SR, GR) and not by individual semesters.

To answer your "how would it look" question: it would probably depend on what classes you got those below-average (for you) grades in. That having been said, you'll look worse than someone with the same cGPA but more consistent per-year GPAs.

That also having been said, it's a crapshoot, so who can say with any certainty?

What about if I improved greatly? Like if my sophomore year was my only bad year?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a bad semester or year, it will pull down your cumulative GPA. All "trending" aside, I would be worried about that.

Is there a reason why you're obsessing this much and posting multiple threads? Stop being a neurotic pre-med.

Because I'm frustrated with myself and I know that I am smarter than what my GPA says, it's just that med schools won't see that unfortunately. If I don't get into med school I will just be a bum on the street because it's not like I can do anything else with a biology degree. My life is ruined.

Because I'm frustrated with myself and I know that I am smarter than what my GPA says, it's just that med schools won't see that unfortunately. If I don't get into med school I will just be a bum on the street because it's not like I can do anything else with a biology degree. My life is ruined.
Man, you weren't kidding about your life being ruined. You just outed yourself as babby's first troll.

vg74154_babby.jpg

Are you serious? You're preaching to the choir. There are so many people who haven't done well one semester for unforseen circumstances that still get into medical school. Hell, there are so many out there that would KILL for that GPA. Just take it one step at a time, breathe, and make a plan of action for junior year. If you have to take less classes to ensure A's, then so be it. Just make sure you do well from here on out and you will be fine. No need for the dramatic flair.

Man, you weren't kidding about your life being ruined. You just outed yourself as babby's first troll.

vg74154_babby.jpg

:rofl:

OP, are you by any chance a relative of Protagonistics? He had similar threads about his poor performance and also posted multiple threads on the same topic which, correct me if I'm wrong is an SDN No No. :nono: or at the very least annoying.

If you work hard you'll be fine. If you don't.... I'm sure you no what will happen.