1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

semester off to prepare for mcat

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by merlinludy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. merlinludy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm in my senior year, and I'm about to start preparing for the Mcat. I was wondering if adcom would count against if I take the spring semester of to prepare.

2. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They might not hold it against you, but they might wonder why you didn't just do it in the summer. I think you'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to take an entire semester off, and I'm not sure that the MCAT is a valid one.

#2 Vihsadas, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. junkct

5+ Year Member

a FULL semester? That's like 13 weeks of full-time mcat... might be a bit overload

4. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    13 weeks to study for the MCAT is close to the 3 months a good number of people use to prepare. Now, taking a semester off is a completely different topic. It would be better to, as Vihsadas wrote, use the summer and not skip a semester.

5. junkct

5+ Year Member

Right, 13 weeks is pretty reasonable IF you're doing other stuff (like school or work) along with it. If you're taking the semester off solely to study for the mcat, then idk...

6. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wish I could take the semester off, my scholarship makes me take up to 12 credits each semester except summer.

7. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd say using a summer break when you're doing nothing else is also okay. Like you said, it's the taking a semester off that's the problem.