seminary degree in year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fish89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a year off before med school, and originally I had a research job lined up for me. It's still available and confirmed, but after thinking about it, I realized that my heart really lies in learning more about my faith - and I found a M.A. program at a seminary that I could complete in 1 year. I've been heavily involved in medical missions/ my youth group (leadership and all) and the way that my faith motivates my life/values/goals/ambitions is part of me.

Although modern medicine is "evidenced-based" and mostly secular, spiritual care is a significant component of many programs that address holistic wellbeing, and often underaddressed. In fact, there are a significant number of scientific studies that point to the practical medical benefit of prayer, addressing other related spiritual concerns, etc. (whether or not you agree is not the point of this post... please don't argue, I actually used to be atheist) Anyway, at my interviews, I would discuss how my values (caring for people, loving people, etc) applies practically to a medical context (citing experiences via medical missions, other service I do)...

Going to seminary would be more of a personal interest, not so much a vocational move. It's only an idea at this point... What do you think? How would going to seminary be looked at during applications?

Would it make me look not serious about medicine?
Or intriguingly unique?

Members don't see this ad.

My .02: Do what you want, not what you think someone else wants you to do. If you would rather do the seminary thing as opposed to research, do it. I definitely don't think having religious coursework is going to hurt your application at all.

Once again, just my .02.

Members don't see this ad :)
i cant really give an opinion concerning the seminary (which i think is admirable though)

but my entire application has lots of religious references ...from my youth group, medical mission trips, dancing for other churches etc. and from what i would assume, i definitely dont think it has hurt my application.

best of luck!

My .02: Do what you want, not what you think someone else wants you to do. If you would rather do the seminary thing as opposed to research, do it. I definitely don't think having religious coursework is going to hurt your application at all.

Once again, just my .02.
Make that 4 cents.

any way you could pass that research job along to me? thanks!

Although I think its a good idea as well.

I think there are some concerns that you should think about... ie you will likely get a lot of questions about why not just continue a career in faith and not medicine during interviews.

Also I recall an interview with priest on NPR suggesting there is a certain stigma and challenges leaving the church honorably.

In my expert opinion backed by volumes of evidence and data, spirituality and religion suck. I'd suggest sticking with the research job.

Granted, research can also suck but not as much as religion and spirituality. Research can even be nice, at times!

Although modern medicine is "evidenced-based" and mostly secular, spiritual care is a significant component of many programs that address holistic wellbeing, and often underaddressed. In fact, there are a significant number of scientific studies that point to the practical medical benefit of prayer, addressing other related spiritual concerns, etc. (whether or not you agree is not the point of this post... please don't argue, I actually used to be atheist) Anyway, at my interviews, I would discuss how my values (caring for people, loving people, etc) applies practically to a medical context (citing experiences via medical missions, other service I do)...

Yea, what is up with medicine and its "evidence" and "scientific studies" and "controlled clinical trials"? If you ask me, people need to quit that medicine nonsense and offer animal sacrifices to sirino, the nepali lemur god, if they really want to be cured.

Hail Sirino.

as an atheist I can imagine that prayer provides medical benefit but mainly because if the person believes it will help it will give them a more positive mental attitude, which IMO is helpful in some cases.. not necessarily because the prayer literally "succeeded"

Of course you should do it. Adcoms are not expecting you to have a one-mind track for medicine. If you explain it to them the way you wrote it in your post you are golden, imo. And yes, it makes you a better and more interesting applicant.

Sounds like you've already put a lot of thought into this. Go ahead and do it.

Seminary makes you look not serious about medicine? Hm... not sure... if anything, I bet it'll make you look very attractive for Loma Linda. (I'm also betting that applying to Loma Linda isn't totally out of the question for you.)