Send a letter to update/clarify AMCAS app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdubz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of filling secondaries when I looked at my AMCAS and realized the grade page doesn't look so great. My credit hours and GPA drops with each successive year! The reasons for this are because summer school I took after freshman year was counted as freshman year and because my junior year spring grades (my school is on the quarter system) were not available when I submitted my AMCAS application. So in fact my GPA goes up junior year as compared to my sophomore year and I have a normal amount of credits. Also, I did not include my internship for the current summer in the AMCAS because I had not yet started the internship when I submitted it in June.

So, I'm wondering if you think I should send the medical schools (at least the ones that screen pre-secondary) a letter explaining the hours/GPA situation and introducing my summer internship? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

bdubz said:
I am in the middle of filling secondaries when I looked at my AMCAS and realized the grade page doesn't look so great. My credit hours and GPA drops with each successive year! The reasons for this are because summer school I took after freshman year was counted as freshman year and because my junior year spring grades (my school is on the quarter system) were not available when I submitted my AMCAS application. So in fact my GPA goes up junior year as compared to my sophomore year and I have a normal amount of credits. Also, I did not include my internship for the current summer in the AMCAS because I had not yet started the internship when I submitted it in June.

So, I'm wondering if you think I should send the medical schools (at least the ones that screen pre-secondary) a letter explaining the hours/GPA situation and introducing my summer internship? Thanks!

Yes, send them updates. It can't hurt but could help. I wouldn't try to explain the situation, but would just point out your new GPA for them. Good luck!