Send POI letter of explanation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDWannabe

WombStewWithCrustyBread
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO I recently did a phone interview for a school and during the research interests portion of the interview, I felt like I babbled just a smidge. I had so much I wanted to get out, it came out a bit scatterbrained. I don't know if that's how they took it but that's how I felt I said it. And i think if I, the speaker, have to wonder if they understood me or not, they probably didn't.

Anyways, my main question is, should I send POI a quick email somehow explaining what my research interests are in a way that makes sense without having it feel like I'm begging for a second interview? Maybe segue into it from a "just wanted to say thank you for interviewing me/get your opinion on something" email (No one deserves do overs, you only get one shot,etc. I know) When it was over, I felt like my POI and other interviewers (including DCT) took special effort to let me know that if there was anything I wanted to talk about, I should not hesitate to give any of them a call or email. They said that a lot.

Thoughts? Opinions? All is much appreciated.....

Members don't see this ad.

SO I recently did a phone interview for a school and during the research interests portion of the interview, I felt like I babbled just a smidge. I had so much I wanted to get out, it came out a bit scatterbrained. I don't know if that's how they took it but that's how I felt I said it. And i think if I, the speaker, have to wonder if they understood me or not, they probably didn't.

Anyways, my main question is, should I send POI a quick email somehow explaining what my research interests are in a way that makes sense without having it feel like I'm begging for a second interview? Maybe segue into it from a "just wanted to say thank you for interviewing me/get your opinion on something" email (No one deserves do overs, you only get one shot,etc. I know) When it was over, I felt like my POI and other interviewers (including DCT) took special effort to let me know that if there was anything I wanted to talk about, I should not hesitate to give any of them a call or email. They said that a lot.

Yes, you can do that as part of your thank you note. When writing thank you notes, one thing that is common is to clarify anything that you felt you may not have explained well in the interview.

But, it has to be short. That's my only problem with advising you to do this. You don't want to write a lot on the topic. You really need to keep your explanation to a short paragraph.

Good luck!!!

I'm guessing based on their responses you did better than you think, but you could include a brief something about it in your thank you email... "Thank you for your time, I enjoyed talking with you and look forward to talking more about (your interests here) in the near future." I wouldn't go on and on about it though. Just my 2 cents :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can do that as part of your thank you note. When writing thank you notes, one thing that is common is to clarify anything that you felt you may not have explained well in the interview.

But, it has to be short. That's my only problem with advising you to do this. You don't want to write a lot on the topic. You really need to keep your explanation to a short paragraph.

Good luck!!!

Thank you, 'Girl!! You have no idea how helpful that is. In case you haven't been able to tell, I write like I talk (A LOT, lol) so my challenge will be making it concise. Thanks again!! and Good Luck to you to :) :luck:

I'm guessing based on their responses you did better than you think, but you could include a brief something about it in your thank you email... "Thank you for your time, I enjoyed talking with you and look forward to talking more about (your interests here) in the near future." I wouldn't go on and on about it though. Just my 2 cents :)

Whoa, that's really good. I'll definitely use that. From their response, i assumed just the opposite. Like they heard me and said derisively to each other "she's not making any sense, she'll definitely be sending a clarifying email". But it was my first interview so the jitters are clouding my judgment, haha. Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the feedback.

Whoa, that's really good. I'll definitely use that. From their response, i assumed just the opposite. Like they heard me and said derisively to each other "she's not making any sense, she'll definitely be sending a clarifying email". But it was my first interview so the jitters are clouding my judgment, haha. Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the feedback.

I definitely agree with Hopefulnontrad that you probably were much more coherent than you think you were. : )

No worries! We all question ourselves :D Good luck!

I wouldn't dwell on it--you don't want them to focus on the less-than-excellent parts of the interview. I COMPLETELY flubbed one question on a recent interview, completely wrote that school off, and then was admitted, so you never know...

I really needed to hear those kind words. Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it. I would not have been able to sleep well tonight thinking like that.............which is not such a great idea cos I fly out early tomorrow for another interview :)

SDNers never let me down, you guys rock!

I know exactly how you feel. You probably did fine! I had a phone interview that went the same way i had a lot of uhhhhss and umms and slipped a 'like' or two in and still got accepted. No worries :thumbup: