Send thank-you note to recommenders by email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted212936

I've heard it's not decent to thank recommendation writers via email (which is more convenient). So should I thank them in-person, write a note by hand?

Members don't see this ad.

A handwritten thank-you note is probably appropriate.

Incidentally, this is a pretty common question that has been answered several times in the past. We're happy to help you here with any questions you may have, but in the future you might save some time by utilizing the search function at the top right hand side of the forum :)

I would definitely hand write a note.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

The semester has ended .. Should I send the handwritten thank-you note by mail or make an effort to hand it to the writer in person?

PS: I used the search function for "thank-you note" and "email" but couldn't find what I wanted.

Thanks.

The semester has ended .. Should I send the handwritten thank-you note by mail or make an effort to hand it to the writer in person?

PS: I used the search function for "thank-you note" and "email" but couldn't find what I wanted.

Either is fine; they'll get the same letter either way, and all you're doing is trying to acknowledge the help they gave you with a little thanks, so the method in which you do so really isn't a big deal. Try not to stress the little things like this too much :)

Either is fine; they'll get the same letter either way, and all you're doing is trying to acknowledge the help they gave you with a little thanks, so the method in which you do so really isn't a big deal. Try not to stress the little things like this too much :)

I agree. I did two interviews hand-written but neither accepted me, and my final interview I e-mailed because I decided it was the interview, not the thank you note, that will get me in.

Whether I get in to that last one... well I'll get back to you

I agree. I did two interviews hand-written but neither accepted me, and my final interview I e-mailed because I decided it was the interview, not the thank you note, that will get me in.

Haha, true... in this case, they're actually talking about thanking LOR writers though :) So this is just out of common courtesy. Still, same principle holds.

email is just fine

reading fail. question was about LOR writers not interviewers.

As I always suggest with these threads, simply do both if you can't decide. E-mail and write a little note just in case the note doesn't find its way into the letter writer's hand.

Either way, there's no real issue with an e-mail. I just prefer the traditional note card because I think my signature is bad***.

I would say a hand written note, simply due to the fact that it takes two seconds to send an e-mail and it shows a tiny bit of time and effort to handwrite a note to someone who was kind enough to write you a recommendation.