Sending a DO letter to MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to both MD and DO schools, and my school's premed committee does not do separate letter packets, so MD schools will also get my DO letter.

I have two options in this case:

1) Have my school send the DO letter to both DO and MD schools. This option is less stressful and will not cost me anything.

2) Have the DO letter be sent only to DO schools (my preference). For this option though, I will have to set up an Interfolio account and probably spend $150+ just so the MD schools don't get the letter.

Which option should I choose? Will MD schools be turned off from my application if they see a DO letter, especially if the DO will letter will say something like "Student X is a great fit for osteopathic schools since he seemed to be very interested in osteopathic philosophy" or something to that effect?

Members don't see this ad.

The consensus to this is that MD schools don't care about DO shadowing, and DO schools want the DO letter/ DO shadowing so your option 1 is the way to go.

Which option should I choose? Will MD schools be turned off from my application if they see a DO letter, especially if the DO will letter will say something like "Student X is a great fit for osteopathic schools since he seemed to be very interested in osteopathic philosophy" or something to that effect?

If the letter says this, it's probably not a good thing. I highly doubt it will make or break your app, but it's not really a positive addition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to both MD and DO schools, and my school's premed committee does not do separate letter packets, so MD schools will also get my DO letter.

I have two options in this case:

1) Have my school send the DO letter to both DO and MD schools. This option is less stressful and will not cost me anything.

2) Have the DO letter be sent only to DO schools (my preference). For this option though, I will have to set up an Interfolio account and probably spend $150+ just so the MD schools don't get the letter.

My only physician LOR came from a DO and I only applied MD, so don't let that stop you. If the letter talks about how you're a great fit for osteopathy, however, I'm not so sure... can you just take out that sentence from the letter and then save yourself the money and trouble? Or if you can't do that, just suck it up and pay the $150 for interfolio and do two less secondaries. You'll break even. :cool:

If the letter says this, it's probably not a good thing. I highly doubt it will make or break your app, but it's not really a positive addition.

My only physician LOR came from a DO and I only applied MD, so don't let that stop you. If the letter talks about how you're a great fit for osteopathy, however, I'm not so sure... can you just take out that sentence from the letter and then save yourself the money and trouble? Or if you can't do that, just suck it up and pay the $150 for interfolio and do two less secondaries. You'll break even. :cool:

I don't understand why you two think "being a good fit for the osteopathic philosophy" automatically makes you a bad fit for allopathic schools. The only "osteopathic philosophy" I know of is preventative and holistic care; neither of which take away from or compete with what MD schools teach you which presumably is to cure sick people. The osteopathic philosophy has to do with how you run your practice and how you treat your patients, not with what you learn or how good of a doctor you are.

Is it better for me if the DO writes the "great fit for osteopathic schools" or should I tell her to not include anything like that in the letter? If she does include it, it might make my application stronger for DO schools, but could potentially (although the chance is small) hurt me at MD schools.

Is it better for me if the DO writes the "great fit for osteopathic schools" or should I tell her to not include anything like that in the letter? If she does include it, it might make my application stronger for DO schools, but could potentially (although the chance is small) hurt me at MD schools.

Tell her your concern. Maybe she'll write you two.