sending an update to my dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuretoothdoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I'm a undergrad senior and applying this cycle. I just started an independent research project with a dental school faculty member (my undergrad school has a D-school). I'm handling a majority of the work that will go into the research, will be presenting our poster at a minimum of 2 different venues, and will also be writing a thesis paper for the research (my school has an honors research program that requires a thesis paper). This research project is different from the research I did previously and listed on my AADSAS app. Could I, or should I, update schools on this? I think it might make my app more competitive, especially since my new research project deals with the orofacial region. But are such updates commonly sent to D-schools and if so, how? Anyone have any such experience in the past? I know there is an academic update but I think that's only for grades...correct me if I'm wrong haha

Members don't see this ad.

Update the schools one by one. This is a great example of an update. I have updated schools at least twice this cycle so far. Keep track of who you update because it'll look bad if you send the same email to the same staff twice. Other than that, anything that you know and feel would make your app more competitive is worth the update. I haven't seen one school not make updates. There are some schools that don't respond no matter what.

Update the schools one by one. This is a great example of an update. I have updated schools at least twice this cycle so far. Keep track of who you update because it'll look bad if you send the same email to the same staff twice. Other than that, anything that you know and feel would make your app more competitive is worth the update. I haven't seen one school not make updates. There are some schools that don't respond no matter what.

Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking haha, which schools did you email and did most of them reply? Do you have any tips on how to format the emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking haha, which schools did you email and did most of them reply? Do you have any tips on how to format the emails?

I applied to 21 schools so I updated almost all of them. Rutgers never replied. Nova doesn't even have an email to send updates so you have to either fax or snail mail it to them.

No format. Keep it short, simple, and easy to read. Don't do a statement worth for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
This year I'm a undergrad senior and applying this cycle. I just started an independent research project with a dental school faculty member (my undergrad school has a D-school). I'm handling a majority of the work that will go into the research, will be presenting our poster at a minimum of 2 different venues, and will also be writing a thesis paper for the research (my school has an honors research program that requires a thesis paper). This research project is different from the research I did previously and listed on my AADSAS app. Could I, or should I, update schools on this? I think it might make my app more competitive, especially since my new research project deals with the orofacial region. But are such updates commonly sent to D-schools and if so, how? Anyone have any such experience in the past? I know there is an academic update but I think that's only for grades...correct me if I'm wrong haha
You really think the info is worthy of a CNN Newsflash?

You really think the info is worthy of a CNN Newsflash?

lol I read this as I'm watching CNN. Hey, any extra info that adds value certainly can't subtract, right?

Reactions: 1 user