sending an update to secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonhoney

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm fairly new around here, but I was hoping someone could help.

In short: What is the generally accepted protocol about sending an update to you application? What deserves one and what doesn't?

The details: In my case, I feel like my application currently would look like it lacked in clinical experience (the only real exposure to patients I had was either in a third-world country, or in a nursing-home-type situation). This summer, however, I spent 8 weeks shadowing all over the place--hospitals, pediatrics, family practice, clinics for the homeless/uninsured. But, I didn't have all that scheduled yet when I did my primary, and few, if any, secondaries allowed me to talk about it. I briefly alluded to these observation experiences in several essays, but didn't really explain at all.

Would it be dumb to send an update just listing what I did, who I shadowed, etc.? not an essay, just a list/table format proving that I didn't actually waste my summer.

Is it too early after the secondaries have gone in to do this? Would it be overkill, making me seem silly and over-eager?

I was going to start calling schools tomorrow to get the admissions people's opinions, but thought I'd ask here first.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on during in all your apps - thats a big step to overcome.

When I applied last year I didn't really know about sending update letters. I ended up sending one in January (I hadn't gotten interview invites yet) to show that I was continually involved with scientific/medical stuff but also to cover the fact that I had done a lot since primaries/secondaries.

I think that it would be appropriate to send an update letter. The schools should just add it to your file and whenever they review your file, they should also review your update letter.

I would however not just write out a table/bullet points. Write succinct and well thought out little paragraphs covering what you have done and maybe a little about why it is relevant to your path toward medicine. And dont think that its a bad thing that you only have nursing home/third world experience - thats amazing! I did the standard hospital volunteer thing - remember, they want unique people with unique experiences.

You may also want to include a short paragraph at the end of your update saying why each school is a good fit for you (the way they teach - the atmosphere of the school - the research or clinical experiences).

You should be able to email these letters to each school and they will add it your file (that's what all the schools I applied to did).

Hope this helps - good luck! :thumbup:

Yes, that helps--thanks very much!

Does anyone else have any input?