Sending in more letters of rec than requested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notbougie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that I submitted my primary application with 6 letters to all schools, many of which only request for 3-5. Is this going to be an issue that I submitted more than the requested amount? Is there a way to cancel the submission of one of them?

Thank you for any help and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak with any authority, but I can pass along what an admissions committee representative from USC-Keck said at a school visit and what I heard a Stanford adcom rep say.

He says that he doesn't get it when applicants include more than 3 letters and that it makes him think the applicant didn't check their website.

The adcom from Stanford said that if they allow you submit up to six, she doesn't see why anyone would submit fewer than six.

But, from a neurotic pre-med maintain your health perspective, it's probably best to interpret this as "no big deal...we'll just look at the first three and ignore the others".

In reality, I'm guessing/hoping that the committees recognize how the centralized application system causes some consistency in the application until we get to secondaries and that unless someone has phenomenal research letters for a research school and phenomenal inner city letters for a health equity school, we likely all just have one set of letters that hopefully convey we are a good bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for both of your responses.

I hope that my oversight won't cause me too much trouble. Does anyone know how this could negatively impact me regarding the schools that have specific requirements?

Last edited:
Thanks for both of your responses.

I hope that my oversight won't cause me too much trouble. Does anyone know how negative this could impact me regarding the schools that have specific requirements?
It would probably depend on the school's expectations and applicant pool. Is it one of the previously mentioned CA schools?