Sending in more letters than they ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMike24

eat, drink, and be merry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be viewed negatively if I sent more than the required letters? USF is asking for two character letters. I have three in, and they should all be really good. However, since I do not have access to them I dont know what they say. What to do? I would like to send all three, but not sure if they would like that or not?

Members don't see this ad.

bump...any input?

depends on the school but i would imagine more than they ask can be seen negatively because you 1) can't follow directions and 2) can't choose the most important ones.

i had 6 letters but removed one after much deliberation to fit the max 5 for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
yourmom25 said:
depends on the school but i would imagine more than they ask can be seen negatively because you 1) can't follow directions and 2) can't choose the most important ones.

i had 6 letters but removed one after much deliberation to fit the max 5 for most schools.

I don't know if it's negative. I asked just a couple of schools that had a max of 5 if they would mind that I had 6 in my letter of rec service, and they said no. Worse comes to worse, they don't read one of your letters. I think they know a lot of schools have different letter requirements, so they may not mind if they see an extra letter than they want. Or maybe I'm just too lax, who knows...

I've sent in letters to about 20 schools so far, and virtually all of them have allowed letters beyond the minimum of 3. Unless they specifically say ONLY 3, it's probably fine.

Some schools only want three. Some schools allow more. I have five good letters. I am going to send the three most important ones to schools that only want three. I am going to send in the extras after my app completes as supplementary data. Like it was said, the worse they can do is not read them.

DrMike24 said:
Would it be viewed negatively if I sent more than the required letters? USF is asking for two character letters. I have three in, and they should all be really good. However, since I do not have access to them I dont know what they say. What to do? I would like to send all three, but not sure if they would like that or not?

love your icon! :D
anyway my committee sent 6 or 7 letters and they send it to every school, so I doubt it matters.

my committee is sending all five of mine out. they have to because the cover letter mentions all of them.

Thanks for the help!

i think it's fine unless they specifically say"ONLY" a certain number. I sent extras to most of mine and several even commented in the interview how many people commented about my dedication and integrity, so it must be very pobvious.