Sending letters of interest/update letters of admission committees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudeethatsrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mail-out date was mid-August, and I applied to 12 schools. Since then, I've received 2 interviews (which I'm very excited for!), have 4 application completes, and 4 under reviews (the other 2 schools don't use aadsas). While I know stats aren't everything, I'm a little surprised/worried at the lack of interviews because I got a 25AA and TS on the DAT, and a 4.0 in an SMP (after a 3.4 in undergrad). Is there anything I can do to jump start the process? Is it out of line to send an update letter to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just keep waiting, they come in waves. Also note, a lot of schools will still interview after December 1st. I had about half pre December 1st and half post December 1st interviews. and I submitted mine in early July.

Yeah do it if you're good at schmoozing over the phone. I have a friend that called a school everyday until they accepted her. She had a 17 DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
This brings up the question: do you have anything significant to update since you submitted the app?

I have always thought that "letters of interest" are a little bit silly. You've already demonstrated "interest" by putting together an app, paying supp fees, and flying out to an in-person interview. Why then would you need to send another letter expressing "interest"? I guess it helps some people sleep better at night so they swear by it anecdotally.

With your numbers, I would just sit back, relax, and let the invites roll in.

Reactions: 1 users
What about a new dental related job? Would that be a good thing to update schools on?

Yeah do it if you're good at schmoozing over the phone. I have a friend that called a school everyday until they accepted her. She had a 17 DAT

LOL where'd she end up getting in?