Sending Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazygal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a quick question.....Is it okay to send letters of recommendation to schools before you get the secondary? Of course, I mean schools that don't pre-screen. I applied to nearly 20 schools, and our pre-health office makes us release letters in person, so it's getting a little old making a trip over there almost every day. I'm just wondering if I could just send all the rest of my letters out.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, I wouldn't want to take the chance in them getting lost. You know they probably just have a minalla folder that says "no matching applicant" on it. If your letters go in there, who knows if they'll ever come out again.

Just my opinion.

Yep, I'd wait until you hear from them - they might not have processed your AMCAS yet and then you'll just have to send them again.

Members don't see this ad :)
sfbear said:
Yep, I'd wait until you hear from them - they might not have processed your AMCAS yet and then you'll just have to send them again.
Call and find out. However, if you have been invited to complete a secondary, chances are that they have a folder for you and it would not hurt to get them there ASAP. But like I say, call the schools and find out.

If you haven't been invited, don't do it. Some schools will destroy your letters if they haven't been requested. It's okay to send letters before submitting the secondary, but I wouldn't do it before being invited.

To all of the schools I've applied, 30, I've done 28 secondaries. Even before receiving 1 secondary I sent out my LORs. So far so good, no LORs have been lost and it has significantly speeded up my completion time. For example, I was invited for Creighton and after sending my secondary I was complete in 1 week. But maybe its only been my luck, can't really say what others have experienced with this matter.