sending LORs as 'additional material'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Friday

TGIF
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

My school sends out LORs in a package so I already had all my LORs sent to the premed committee. In fact, I've already had them send out the package to the schools I'm applying to.

I may send out an additional LOR a bit later in the process, from a proffessor I started working with not too long ago. What would be the best way to get the additional LOR to the med schools?

having it sent to the premed committee is out of the question because they already sent a package on my behalf. I would love to avoid burdening him with sending out multiple letters to different places. I also want to avoid him giving it to me to make copies then send out because I want med schools to see that the LOR was confidential (no chance of me reading it).

Whats my best choice? Do I have any other choices? How have other people sent additional LORs? Thanks!!

Oh ya, I haven't yet approached the proff but will quite soon...

Members don't see this ad.

Why not burden the premed committee? It would take a whole lot off you. I'd call and check with them so that you're not chasing down professors trying to get them to send recommendations to the multiple schools you're applying to. I know several people who were screwed over because a school didn't receive their recommendations on time or at all. I'd suggest at least talking to the committee and working with them so that you don't have to worry about this yourself. You'll have plenty to deal with throughout the process as is. Just my $0.02.

Heal&Teach said:
Why not burden the premed committee?... I'd call and check with them so that you're not chasing down professors trying to get them to send recommendations to the multiple schools you're applying to. I know several people who were screwed over because a school didn't receive their recommendations on time or at all

Thanks for your advice.

Just to clarify, I already have 4 LORs which were sent out from my school to the med schools. Our school has a max of 4 letters you can have sent to the committee BTW. The 5th letter is one which I don't feel is absolutely necassary but rather I hope it can be like 'icing on the cake'. I would like to assume that what I have already can at least land interviews and then the additional letters can even arrive around that time.

The proffessor in question is someone I've worked with now for about 4-5 months. 5 months ago when I got my other LORs, it was obviously too soon to ask him. I feel I can now ask him based on the time I've worked with him.

appreciate your thoughts on this Heal&Teach :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem at all. :) I see your dilemma. Maybe his recommendation could be an icing on the cake kind of thing where you send it post-interview to bolster your applications in the event that you enter waitlist hell (I pray that you won't have to deal with any at all), or just as a bonus for your file in general. At least this way you don't have to worry about getting an additional letter out to every school with the risk that it will hold up your application.

bumping it if you don't mind...

bumping once more...

I am considering doing the same thing: the "icing on the cake" letter after my committee package has been submitted. I, too, would appreciate any feedback from others who have done this. When would be the best time to submit the letter? And maybe the letter would mean even more if the doctor (if he/she is an alum or familiar with a certain program) mentions why I would be a good candidate for that program or that I am particularly interested in a certain school? (I certainly would not request that kind of specificity for EVERY letter - only my top choice remaining at that point in the game.)

Do med schools get ever get annoyed by people sending additional letters of recommendation?