sending LORs before secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sj786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to submit the LORs before sending the secondary application?

Would the schools still keep it?

Members don't see this ad.

sj786 said:
Is it okay to submit the LORs before sending the secondary application?

Would the schools still keep it?

Some will definitely pitch them. You should contact each school individually to confirm.

dr_zippo said:
Some will definitely pitch them. You should contact each school individually to confirm.

I agree. I have the same issue..my premed dean uploaded them all on virtual evals before my amcas was verified...er...well it still isn't verified...
But either way, I'll just call the schools individually to confirm.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
dr_zippo said:

I don't know about schools just throwing them out -- my LORs were sent out before I was even verified and yet the secondaries I've completed thus far show that my LORs were received right after they were sent out. As long as they have your primary application on file (which they 'should', even before your verification), I don't see the problem.

However, I am only complete at 5 schools right now (way below the average SDN'er) and obviously my list is not representative of all medical schools in general, so it's not a bad idea to double-check if it doesn't show up within a few days after your schools receive your secondaries.

I sent them to 20+ schools before the secondary was submitted and never had any single problem. In fact, my file went complete almost as soon as I submitted the secondary. I would send them ASAP because the processing of the letters will hold up your app.

thanks guys
good luck to you all

Secondaries include waivers that should be attached to the LORs. If you submit LORs before the secondaries, make sure they include a comparable waiver form. Include your AMCAS# and waive your right to see the LOR.

I've sent a significant portion of my LORs in before the secondary and it has yet to cause a problem. As long as they have your AMCAS, they'll file it away until you've submitted the secondary.

TSK said:
I've sent a significant portion of my LORs in before the secondary and it has yet to cause a problem. As long as they have your AMCAS, they'll file it away until you've submitted the secondary.

You have to watch when your status is complete though, if you do this...

Sometimes they get your application and wait for the letters. If you letters were sent before then...they will never match up. I know darmouth did this to me...

However, this is probably very rare, since, as soon as they get a LOR they probably put it in your file (even if you are not verfied yet)