sending LOR's to yourself...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandlot1892

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just on interfolio filling out a delivery and this thought crossed my mind: why wouldn't people just use interfolio and have their own LOR's sent to themselves for review/confirmation they say things they want?

i am guessing it is some sort of breach of contract/breach of the waiving your rights to view the letters (actually i'm certain of it), but if people were worried it would be an easy way to check on a letter. i didn't do it since i'm already accepted it, but i could def see it happening. dunno.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just on interfolio filling out a delivery and this thought crossed my mind: why wouldn't people just use interfolio and have their own LOR's sent to themselves for review/confirmation they say things they want?

i am guessing it is some sort of breach of contract/breach of the waiving your rights to view the letters (actually i'm certain of it), but if people were worried it would be an easy way to check on a letter. i didn't do it since i'm already accepted it, but i could def see it happening. dunno.

Once you waive your right to view the letters you would be breaching your agreement with the schools by taking acts to view them, as well as your agreement with the letter writers. Integrity is the least of the issues -- You could have legal liability, you could be rejected or kicked out of med school. Hardly worth it. It's basically academic fraud when you assert letters are candid and your rights to see them waived and then you illicitly look at them.

WHY would people do this? The majority of people who apply to medical school are usually intelligent enough to know which professors will write them good recommendations. I can only see pathetic people doing this, the kind with borderline stats and a half-assed demeanor when it comes to life in general.

If you were caught its grounds for expulsion from medschool, as well as grounds to inform your letter writers, your institution and AMCAS. Best not to screw with it. If you think one of your letters writers wrote a bad letter about you, just ask them honestly...ask them what you could do to improve their perception of you.

I know the UC Berkeley will only send letters to academic institutions to protect against this sort of thing.

I tried to send letters for a scholarship and I couldn't.

Interfolio may have a similar protection against people sending LORs to themselves.

I know the UC Berkeley will only send letters to academic institutions to protect against this sort of thing.

I tried to send letters for a scholarship and I couldn't.

Interfolio may have a similar protection against people sending LORs to themselves.
Same thing at UC Davis. Our letter service will allow our packets to be sent to post-bacc/SMP offices but only the ones on their list of approved programs.