Sending MCAT Scores after Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onemanshow3998

Reaction score
I just recently had my AACOMAS app verified and submitted my AMCAS app last week. I took the MCAT back in Jan and did decent so I sent those scores in. However, I just took the test again today, but I'm worried that my score will actually be worse this time around. I'm assuming that AMCAS will automatically get my scores but if my score does turn out to be worse do I have to send it to AACOMAS? Will they find out? If so will this hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, now that you have taken it, any school you apply to will see it, unless they were to receive the new score after they had already finished reviewing your app (but even in this case, they'll probably still see it eventually).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Yes, now that you have taken it, any school you apply to will see it, unless they were to receive the new score after they had already finished reviewing your app (but even in this case, they'll probably still see it eventually).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I see. If in fact I did significantly worse how much will that hurt me. Will they take into account the poor recent score or will they give more credence to the initial score which was pretty decent?

I see. If in fact I did significantly worse how much will that hurt me. Will they take into account the poor recent score or will they give more credence to the initial score which was pretty decent?

For AMCAS schools get to decide how the evaluate multiple mcat scores. The AAMC recommends averaging the attempts. Some do this. Others look at the original score, others the most recent score. Supposedly there are some schools that go with the “super score” but I’m not sure which schools or how many do this, if any.

A lower score on your most recent attempt won’t help you. It may call into question the validity of your higher original score and make it appear as a high water mark so to speak.

I wouldn’t worry about this until you have your score back.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Not true -- AACOMAS will not receive the score unless OP sends it to them!!

Ah, my bad- I thought AACOMAS would work the same as AMCAS does.
It would, if they were part of the same system. AAMC just sends them to all schools you've applied to because they run the application system, but for AACOMAS, a totally separate application system, you have to request the score report to be sent to them. Once it is sent, I'm sure AACOMAS does treat it the same as AAMC, and they probably automatically send it to all DO schools you applied to, but they can't send it if you don't provide it to them. I don't think you can only send to some DO schools and not others (I also don't know why you'd want to!), but I'm pretty sure OP will be fine if he wants to hide the score from DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
It would, if they were part of the same system. AAMC just sends them to all schools you've applied to because they run the application system, but for AACOMAS, a totally separate application system, you have to request the score report to be sent to them. Once it is sent, I'm sure AACOMAS does treat it the same as AAMC, and they probably automatically send it to all DO schools you applied to, but they can't send it if you don't provide it to them. I don't think you can only send to some DO schools and not others (I also don't know why you'd want to!), but I'm pretty sure OP will be fine if he wants to hide the score from DO schools.

Oh ok very interesting. Do you know who I can ask to confirm? Should I ask AACOMAS?

Oh ok very interesting. Do you know who I can ask to confirm? Should I ask AACOMAS?
Sure, or AAMC, or just Google it. The Google search should confirm that AACOMAS will not receive scores that you do not request to be sent through the MCAT Score Reporting Service. AMCAS schools receive it automatically, without you requesting it, because they are on the same system. This doesn't apply to anyone else.

Sure, or AAMC, or just Google it. The Google search should confirm that AACOMAS will not receive scores that you do not request to be sent through the MCAT Score Reporting Service. AMCAS schools receive it automatically, without you requesting it, because they are on the same system. This doesn't apply to anyone else.

Hmm yea, when I looked it up it there's nothing official on either the AACOMAS or AAMC websites. Most people on SDN and reddit however say that you are required to send all of your MCAT scores. One even said that if a school finds out that there was an MCAT exam that was not reported then they can even revoke the acceptance.

Hmm yea, when I looked it up it there's nothing official on either the AACOMAS or AAMC websites. Most people on SDN and reddit however say that you are required to send all of your MCAT scores. One even said that if a school finds out that there was an MCAT exam that was not reported then they can even revoke the acceptance.
Well, that would be school specific, and you should definitely check with AACOMAS or with the specific DO schools. Anything is possible, I'm certainly no DO expert, and I'd never advise anyone to violate any requirements, but how the hell would they enforce that requirement given that they don't have a direct pipe into AAMC and AMCAS? @Goro -- is this true? If so, how is it enforced?