Sending Out Secondaries First Week Of September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUforMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 70.6 LizzyM score and my ECs are pretty cookie cutter. I applied to a good range of schools but I am worried that I sent them out to late. Can anyone tell me about their experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

My LizzyM was 68.. didn't turn in some of my secondaries until late September... 6 interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
My LizzyM was 68.. didn't turn in some of my secondaries until late September... 6 interviews.

OF the secondaries that you turned in late Sept, did you receive any interview invites from them?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 70.6 LizzyM score and my ECs are pretty cookie cutter. I applied to a good range of schools but I am worried that I sent them out to late. Can anyone tell me about their experiences?
At this point in the cycle, you're at little to no disadvantage, depending on the school and how they do things.

At this point in the cycle, you're at little to no disadvantage, depending on the school and how they do things.

So, it's not too late to submit secondaries right now for MD? When would you consider is the latest point we can submit secondaries before we seriously incur a disadvantage?

So, it's not too late to submit secondaries right now for MD? When would you consider is the latest point we can submit secondaries before we seriously incur a disadvantage?
I'd assume October you'd be really pushing it.

The "latest point" is a shifting line that depends on how competitive you are, personal demographic factors, how selective the schools are on your list, how & when each school progresses along its personal timeline during the application season, and the strength of your competition. There are, for example, schools that don't even interview until late fall. Some continue interviews after April.

Right now the only factor working against you is that a certain percent of a school's interview slots have been given out leaving proportionately less for you. But this is a small factor at the moment. If you are a weak candidate, your chances rapidly lessen from this point. If you are a strong candidate you are still on a relatively even playing field, so long as you applied to schools in your stats range plus safeties, possibly up until the last day a school is open to new applications. But in the latter case, you are far more likely to get an acceptance from a school less selective than what you might have aspired to earlier in the season. Just my observation.

Was curious about this as well. 20 schools submitted from late July to now. Thinking about adding 5 more but was worried it would be a waste of money now.

Im in the processing of submitting now. Got verified late because my Undergrad institution can't get its act together to send transcripts. My Lizzy M was 70 (higher MCAT lower GPA), EC were strong not phenomenal, but I would say above average. Im hoping it works out for me. So Im following to see what advice you get, and best of luck

I didn't even know what the LizzyM score was until just now, so I checked it out; I was a 67.1 when I applied and I'm at a program whose secondary I didn't submit until September. You definitely still have a chance -- it's just not ideal. If I could redo my application cycle, I would've submitted those secondaries ASAP.

Best of luck this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
The "latest point" is a shifting line that depends on how competitive you are, personal demographic factors, how selective the schools are on your list, how & when each school progresses along its personal timeline during the application season, and the strength of your competition. There are, for example, schools that don't even interview until late fall. Some continue interviews after April.

Right now the only factor working against you is that a certain percent of a school's interview slots have been given out leaving proportionately less for you. But this is a small factor at the moment. If you are a weak candidate, your chances rapidly lessen from this point. If you are a strong candidate you are still on a relatively even playing field, so long as you applied to schools in your stats range plus safeties, possibly up until the last day a school is open to new applications. But in the latter case, you are far more likely to get an acceptance from a school less selective than what you might have aspired to earlier in the season. Just my observation.

Would you consider a 3.7c/513 to be in "okay" position and not too much disadvantage if I'm finishing up the last 8-10 of my secondaries within this week? (ECs are all solid)

Would you consider a 3.7c/513 to be in "okay" position and not too much disadvantage if I'm finishing up the last 8-10 of my secondaries within this week? (ECs are all solid)
Yes, assuming your school list is a match for your stats (not too many reaches). Do you have a WAMC thread with more details?

Yes, assuming your school list is a match for your stats (not too many reaches). Do you have a WAMC thread with more details?

No I do not, but my school list is very reasonable. I applied to 40, I've submitted around 32, just finishing up the last 8. Most are all mid to low tier. My "reach" is basically USC/U Rochester type of schools, rest are all schools that fall within range

Reactions: 1 user

I forgot to ask, do you think it's way too late for me now to submit my secondary for schools that receive like 10k+ apps like Georgetown or Drexel?

I forgot to ask, do you think it's way too late for me now to submit my secondary for schools that receive like 10k+ apps like Georgetown or Drexel?
It was probably too late a while ago for Georgetown, considering the huge number of applications (unless you have major consistent, dedicated service to those in need.) I can't say for Drexel.

It was probably too late a while ago for Georgetown, considering the huge number of applications (unless you have major consistent, dedicated service to those in need.) I can't say for Drexel.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I really appreciate your help, sir! Do you think I still have a chance at applying to these few schools at this point in the cycle?

Temple
Loyola
USF Morsani
Medical College Wisconsin
Miami
Rush
Creighton
U Cinncinati
Western Michigan
U of Iowa
U of Colorado
Ohio State

Sorry for asking so many questions, I really appreciate your help, sir! Do you think I still have a chance at applying to these few schools at this point in the cycle?

Temple
Loyola
USF Morsani
Medical College Wisconsin
Miami
Rush
Creighton
U Cinncinati
Western Michigan
U of Iowa
U of Colorado
Ohio State
I don't feel you've provided enough info about your application for an accurate response. And, I don't thinkl we should sidetrack someone else's thread further. Start a WAMC thread, tag me from there, and I'll answer your question. See the WAMC sticky about information to include.