Sending schools primary...too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjg1110

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been reviewing my school list, and am wondering if it would be too late to send my primary out to schools. I will pre-write the secondaries, and send them in the moment I get them. I have a 517 MCAT (127/129/132/129) and a 3.8cGPA and 3.7 sGPA, with average ECs. I just wanted to add a few more higher tier reach schools to my list, such as Michigan. Just wondering if I am too late in the game to send my primary out, and please, don't chastise me for not having the foresight or for thinking about this earlier. I did think about it, but was in a poor monetary situation at the time. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Consensus is that having your secondaries completed prior to Labor Day is consider as being "on time".

Consider the value of adding higher tier schools at the later portion of that time frame. If you are borderline, would the money be better suited spent on target schools - or is your original list well rounded?

Michigan has already offered approximately 41% of their interviews for the year (per https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/md-program/md-admissions)

So, I have been reviewing my school list, and am wondering if it would be too late to send my primary out to schools. I will pre-write the secondaries, and send them in the moment I get them. I have a 517 MCAT (127/129/132/129) and a 3.8cGPA and 3.7 sGPA, with average ECs. I just wanted to add a few more higher tier reach schools to my list, such as Michigan. Just wondering if I am too late in the game to send my primary out, and please, don't chastise me for not having the foresight or for thinking about this earlier. I did think about it, but was in a poor monetary situation at the time. Thanks.

Definitely putting yourself at a disadvantage by applying this week (you wont be verified until the end of Sept/early October). It's not a death sentence to your chances but it certainly not good (interview invites are given on a rolling basis and are finite, so you can imagine that your chances of receiving one becomes reduced the later your are).

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely putting yourself at a disadvantage by applying this week (you wont be verified until the end of Sept/early October). It's not a death sentence to your chances but it certainly not good (interview invites are given on a rolling basis and are finite, so you can imagine that your chances of receiving one becomes reduced the later your are).

To me it almost sounds like OP is already verified, and is just asking if it's too late to add additional schools to their application... Is that the case here?

To me it almost sounds like OP is already verified, and is just asking if it's too late to add additional schools to their application... Is that the case here?

Oh yes I see, reading is fundamental, I think the fact that they wrote pre-write secondaries threw me off.

Last edited:
Yes my primary application is verified and I have submitted several secondaries to schools. My question revolves around adding new schools to this list this late in the game. Worth my time and money or not?

From what I've seen, rolling admissions process is much more pronounced at UPitt, UMichigan and UChicago. It is much harder to get in if applying in September. Schools like the "Ivies" Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, and also like WashU are more forgiving from what I've seen.

Last edited: