Sending Too Many LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

Quick question:

One of the schools I'm applying to imposed a new maximum for LORs this year. I already assigned LORs to schools based on last year's spreadsheet and sent one over the maximum.

I know that AMCAS can't remove letters at this point. Should I contact the school directly, or should I just not worry about it? My hunch is that they'll just toss one out at random, but if not I'd like to address the issue so that my whole application doesn't get scrapped.

Thanks!

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everybody,

Quick question:

One of the schools I'm applying to imposed a new maximum for LORs this year. I already assigned LORs to schools based on last year's spreadsheet and sent one over the maximum.

I know that AMCAS can't remove letters at this point. Should I contact the school directly, or should I just not worry about it? My hunch is that they'll just toss one out at random, but if not I'd like to address the issue so that my whole application doesn't get scrapped.

Thanks!

-Bill R.

I think you're most likely right about the tossing one out at random (I remember reading about some schools that had this policy), but it certainly wouldn't hurt to call and double check. If I were you, I would call and let an admissions representative know what happened even if it's just for the peace of mind of knowing what action they are going to take.

I'm also interested in an answer to this question. I submitted all 6 of my LOR to every school I applied to without regard to their LOR policies. This was months ago on AMCAS when I was little more ignorant about the process. Is it the consensus that they just toss additional ones out? I'm concerned about being penalized for sending in too many LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being able to follow direction is important guys. I have friends who got rejected by different programs (especially programs in Japan, where they stress emphasis on following direction), just because they did something that instruction said otherwise or didn't say.

If you there isa MAX and you exceeded it, then you should call and try to amend this situation. If the instruction doesn't have a maximum #, then call to make sure for safety and peace of mind. Make a spreadsheet, and check them off.

Example;
From 5 letters sent, 3 are chosen at random.
The only problem is that you cannot discriminate between a powerful and sucky letter.
In short, you are fine.

Thank you very much.

I will call the school directly and see what they can do. TBH, I have a miniscule chance of acceptance anyway, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt to try to correct the mistake.

Appreciate the input.

-Bill R.