Sending Update Letter or Letter of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimkim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys!
When people haven't heard from their favorite schools, some people send stuff like "update letter" or "letter of interest" to their schools(as you know).
I was planning on sending an update letter to several schools. But before I send it, I thought it is appropriate to ask schools first whether they accept update letter or not. So I recently sent them an email asking if they accept update letter.
BUT THEIR RESPONSE WAS "The dealine for submitting supplemental application has already passed."

Is stuff like "update letter" considered as supplemental application? I am shocked because I thought we can send stuff like update letters any time(even in like March). So unless you send your update letter before the school supplemental application deadline, you cannot send it anymore?
I mean I did submit my supplemental application(with essays,etc) on time. I just wanted to add update letter because there have been important changes.
Is this true?
If anyone knows this, I will really appreciate your help.
Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it just depends on the school. I just asked U of MN if they accept update letters, and she said it depended on what part of the process you are in. I am post-interview, so I am allowed to send one. She said if you are already reviewed than you cannot. So I am assuming that if they are at the stage where they are deciding about giving you an interview you are not allowed to send any updates. Again, I think it just depends on the school.